Fuel sending unit - leaking help advise

-

cudajames

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
1966 Barracuda
Background - fuel tank and sending unit replaced about 5 years ago
nor sure what sending unit - pretty sure fuel tank is this model - More Information for SPECTRA PREMIUM CR11A

The fuel sending unit is leaking where the fuel gauge connects - see picture
It looks like the plastic ring seal broken

Any advise? Or should I just change the sending unit?

I've never done this before, should the tank be dropped? And do I need any special tools for the lock ring or anything else?

Lastly, any recommendations on what sending unit to purchase?

barracuda fuel tank.jpg

This is the second time I've seen this issue in this forum. That terminal is fixed into the sender with special dies and a press. I don't know a way to tighten it and stop a fuel leak there. Replace the sender. There is a special tool for that lock ring but a brass drift and a hammer works.

Replace the sender is the best solution here. Take care when tightening the sender wire to the sender, don't go caveman here. When the stud does a twist problems may follow.....

I used a lock ring tool on my 67. Worked great. I had to file one of the sides of one of the nubs to fit.

Drift will work but the right tool for the job makes things easier.

As for access. On my 67 I supported the body and let the rear end droop. I didn't take the shocks off and there was plenty of room.

I would do it outside and have the tank pretty empty. Don't want gas fumes getting to a flame /spark source.

I was able to buy a NOS sender so it is very accurate. Aftermarket not so much.

I ended up using the new rubber seal AND the old one. The ears on the tank seemed to be a bit far from the tank and with only one seal it leaked.

Yes, ditto to what all of the above say.
Just swapped out mine. If the sending unit itself is leaking, just swap it out. There is an adjustable "spanner wrench" available, but you really dont need it. The lock ring rotates (twists) in about 1/4 turn, counterclockwise to remove. Can use a brass (doesn't spark) drift pin and hammer. Just a few taps needed. Maybe tap more than one tab if the lock it tight.
The aftermarket lock rings are a lousy fit and the aftermarket gaskets are lousy, they're too thin. Original just fits better.
Good luck.

Mine leaked, so I replaced it with a Spectra. That thing didn’t read fuel level worth a ****.
I sent my original to a place in Oregon to refurbish. Was expensive, $200, but worth it. Now I get good readings. The Spectra was just an expensive “gas tank plug”.
Whatever you do, use the original lock ring, the aftermarkets leak. And a hammer and drift works just fine. On my ‘66, I got by just loosening the tank and tilting it enough to be able to remove the sender without completely removing it.

I thought to add here, dont twist on the wire terminal and risk turning that stud and causing a leak. Just push it straight on. I see that said above.
Last time I replaced mine (67 B'cuda) I ran the fuel down around 1/4 tank (per the aftermarket sender anyway) and jacked the car up on drivers side high as possible to get remaining fuel away from center. About a cup of fuel spilled. New sender came from RockAuto.

Another point... I got a used OEM sender from a wrecking yard. the wire terminal had a nut to remove it from the flat plate that everything goes thru. there was some o-ring or the like under the plastic insulator IIRC.

Very.

There is another thread showing why the aftermarkets suck.

My recommendation is if you have an oem have it restored.

I did buy a replacement unit - which included lock ring/gasket. And i could use the existing lock ring if need be

The main issue I found with the aftermarket fuel sender is accuracy on my 69. I dont think they correctly re-configured the early A sending units. They dont even look the same, but are sold as fitting the early As.
Aftermarket gasket and lock rings are lousy. May need to double up the gasket. I had to use my original gasket coated with fuel resistant permatex.

-
Back