Fuel sending unit not flowing.

-

dartfreak75

Restore it, Dont part it!
Reaction score
I have a brand new sending unit installed into a brand new tank I cannot get fuel to come out. I thought it was a fuel pump issue (also brand new) so I hooked up a electric fuel pump, nothing. So I thought maybe it was a clogged line so I unhooked the fuel lines and connected the electric fuel pump straight to the sending unit. Still nothing. I know the tank is full. It's like it's stopped up no air or gas is coming in or out. I even tried to blow compressed air into the sending unit to "clear the clog" still nothing. I don't get it! Anymore ideas I can try before dropping the tank again?

How is the tank vented ?
Is there a return line on the sending unit?

The sock probably got pushed against the end of the tube. Take the sock off and throw it in the trash bin. You don/t need it if you put a filter before the pump.

Did it maybe kink when you installed it?
No I don't think so I was very careful installing it.
How is the tank vented ?
Is there a return line on the sending unit?
It is vented thru the factory filler tube and I have a return line. I actually thought about this and removed the gas cap and return line with the electric pump.
The sock probably got pushed against the end of the tube. Take the sock off and throw it in the trash bin. You don/t need it if you put a filter before the pump.
This is probably the case. Looks like I'm dropping the tank lol thanks for the replies guys!

No I don't think so I was very careful installing it.

It is vented thru the factory filler tube and I have a return line. I actually thought about this and removed the gas cap and return line with the electric pump.

This is probably the case. Looks like I'm dropping the tank lol thanks for the replies guys!
I've applied air pressure going into the tank before and blown off the sock many times. Have you tried that?

Why drop the tank to get at the sending unit?

Should be easy enough to get at from underneath
I don't even jack mine up when I want to mess with it, just add a few extra pounds to the good ole skyjackers

You have to get the flow started with some suction . The tank is higher , that's what I had to do .Once you have fuel in the line the fuel pump can pump it.

Don't have to take tank out , fuel pumps won't be able to suck the fuel . What I did is take the line off at the pump and suck some fuel up to the pump , then attach quickly so there is fuel in the line then the pump will be able to pump. I had a little bit of gas in my mouth but not bad . lol Worked for me .

I just put a couple of tanks in cars we did here and never had to prime the system. The mechanical pumps sucked the fuel from the tank with no problem.

Don't have to take tank out , fuel pumps won't be able to suck the fuel . What I did is take the line off at the pump and suck some fuel up to the pump , then attach quickly so there is fuel in the line then the pump will be able to pump. I had a little bit of gas in my mouth but not bad . lol Worked for me .
I tried that nothing is coming thru the sending unit its plugged or something lol

Houston we have a problem .. Sorry couldn't resist , looks like your taking out the sending unit. Keep us posted .
Thanks I will. Hopefully I will get it out this weekend we got some pretty nasty weather atm.

Before pulling the sending unit. Take the hose of the tube to the sender, and the tube to the pump.

Can you blow air through the tube?

With all that off can you blow into the sender and get bubbles on the tank?

Maybe the hose on the sender has a restriction

-
Back