Fuel Sending Unit Replacement Question

-

ricks70dart

Reaction score
70 Dart Is it possible to replace fuel sending unit without dropping tank.Was hoping to put on jack stands and replacing it.Thanks in advance

It's possible. Been there and done that. Make sure it has less than half a tank of fuel and the car should be level. It's a quick and easy job.

Sender is in the forward face side of the tank. Jack only the rear of the car up means removing as much of the fuel as you can. I always do regardless. Last thing I want is a gas bath.

Oh, and be sure to keep the original lock ring, or get an OEM one from FABO member Halifaxhops. The lock rings that come with the new sending units are crap.

Search FABO for lots of info on the lock rings.

..may be worthwhile repairing your original if possible.
you will have a better idea with your sender out to check

The new sending units are also crap. Definition of crap: They are constructed completely different. They have a different pivot point and a different length float arm. They have a different length tube. The scale does not register the same on the gauge, and it is off by almost half a tank. Best to repair the old one by hook or crook if you actually want a useful gauge. You can buy a new gasket, a new sock, a new float and a new ground strap (this is often the only problem).

I have already purchased sending unit from National Moparts heard they are the most correct sender and best working around

I bought a replacement sending unit that was supposedly made by the original manufacturer. When I tested it with y original fuel gauge, it was way off and non-linear. I purchased a NOS sending unit at Carlisle and it was spot on. I suggest either repairing your original or spending the money on a NOS one.

-
Back