Fuel Sending Unit (sock) filter replacement?

-

TF360

Reaction score
How do you replace it? I don't see a way to get it off. Anyone done this?

I had to cut mine off. Getting the new one back on was a treat too. They are basically a press fit.

Many times you have to break the old one to get it off. If you cut it off be carefully to not cut the tube.

As for putting the new on on you could try warming it in a bath of hot to boiling water. It MIGHT make it more flexible.

Yea, I got it off. Just need to get the new one on there

How do you replace it? I don't see a way to get it off. Anyone done this?
You remove the sending unit on the gas tank and first drain the fuel enough to where you can remove the lock ring and do so the sock is on the end of the pickup tube. I myself don't bother I haven't run a fuel sock for 20 years but eventually disintegrate and end up in your fuel pump and filter an engine carburetor everything little brown Speckles of ****. And unless you plan on driving around on an 8th of a take or less all the time it really wouldn't spare you you but a mile or two anyhow till you run out of gas the same.

I ended up having to ream mine out with a hand held drill bit until I was able to work it up far enough. I couldn't locate a new one locally, so I ended up getting one from Amazon for a jeep. it was about 50% longer, but I just bent the pickup a tad so that it just touched the bottom of the tank.

IMG_20220514_144346252.jpg

. it was about 50% longer, but I just bent the pickup a tad so that it just touched the bottom of the tank
Fyi. Watch when you get to 1/4 tank the pickup is now farther from the bottom of the tank even if the sock is touching the bottom.

3/8" and 5/16 available

Screenshot_20230202-133549.png

Another and a propper wrench to tighten the lock ring

Screenshot_20230202-133934.png

Auto zone thinks they are gold plated...

Screenshot_20230202-135107.png

Last edited:
I'm in Canada, and none of those were available in a hurry. The angle of the pickup tube at the bottom of the tank is quite shallow. i initially bent the pickup tube a minor amount and test fit it. It cleared by a ton, so I think I ended up bending almost back to the original position. It just touches the bottom, and so far no issues.

-
Back