Fuel sending unit- steel vs. stainless, does it make a difference?

-

Schneiderman

Reaction score
Need a sending unit for my duster, the two cheapest ones on ebay are $37/free shipping or $47 after shipping, the cheaper one is regular steel and the more expensive one is stainless, both from the same seller. Both are the correct 5/16 size for my 1970 duster with slant six.

Is the stainless steel one any better? I plan to swap in an 8 cylinder at some point in the future, hopefully within the next year or two, when I do I will probably upgrade to 3/8" fuel line as well so the sender would get replaced as well.

If it is good stainless, it will last forever. If you think you are going to have the car for ten years or more go with the stainless.

i used a cheap 3/8 stainless in my 68 cuda and worked pretty good.. cant complain for around 50ish dollars... the gas gauge is a little less accurate now but no big deal. i keep it 1/2 or more all the time

Leaded fuel would leave a white powder residue on the steel sending units and they would last but those days are long gone so SS would be a good choice now.

Replaced it just now with a 5/16 stainless steel one... was a very easy job, now I just gotta put some gas in it and see if it was worth doing.

-
Back