fuel tank cleaning

-

1BadDodge71

FABO Rice Hater
Reaction score
Discovered my fuel tank in my Duster is full of crud.The sending unit brass float was full of holes and the inlet filter was detoriated.Is there a way I can clean this myself?Or is it better to have if professionally cleaned?And how much does it cost?:shock:

The tank and sender in my Dart was in the same shape. We cleaned and flushed
with solvent, diesel fuel and gasoline. I replaced the sender and a dozen fuel filters over the summer and it never did clear up. Bite the bullet and replace the tank, sender and while you're at it the lines also. Except for spending the money you'll have no regrets. toolman PS. I got my tank @ gastanks.com (Quanta Products)

fall07 244 50percent.jpg

Bite the bullet and replace the tank, sender and while you're at it the lines also. Except for spending the money you'll have no regrets. toolman PS. I got my tank @ gastanks.com (Quanta Products)

I agree with ToolManMike, just buy a new tank and sending unit. I had a small hole in mine and did an epoxy patch. It lasted a year. When the patch fell off there was a much bigger hole.

It sucks spending money but the peace of mind you get with installin new parts is unmesureable. ALso try Rockauto.com for a tank.

X3 When I looked into the cost of having My tank cleaned at a local radiator shop I just decided to spend a little bit more and get a new one .I'd really hate to be stranded on the side of the road just cause I wanted to save a couple a bucks.The most reasonble one I found was from these guys.
http://www.tanks-to-pans.com

cool,thanks.I have a sending unit on the way.I discovered this when my fuel gauge stopped working,even though it had fuel in it.And whenever I took apart my carb,it had like rusty deposits inside and would like to take care of this since the 360 I got for it has a new carb and would hate to ruin it.Ill go with a new tank.Thanks

X3 When I looked into the cost of having My tank cleaned at a local radiator shop I just decided to spend a little bit more and get a new one .I'd really hate to be stranded on the side of the road just cause I wanted to save a couple a bucks.The most reasonble one I found was from these guys.
http://www.tanks-to-pans.com

Just curious but how much did they quote you to clean it? Was it just a steam clean/boil the tank?

billytuffnuts Quote
Just curious but how much did they quote you to clean it? Was it just a steam clean/boil the tank?

I was quoted $95 plus,I got the feeling they were aiming to find something else wrong with the tank so they could pad the bill.All the local shops send them to the same place so it wouldn't do Me much good to shop around.Nothings cheap in Ca.

-
Back