Fuel tank install

-

SGBARRACUDA

ROY
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Ok so I ordered a new fuel tank and a grommet for the fuel neck. Today I took the old stuff out today and I’m waiting on the new stuff. Is there any instal tips I need to remember? Like can you install the filler tube after the tank is mounted. I’m starting fresh with everything new. Including a new AVS2 carb.

A few months back, I did the same thing and I love that AVS 2! I believe I installed the tank first then the tube. It's pretty easy

Install the tank with grommet first, filler tube second.
Don't forget the insulation between the tank and body. Very important step.
Everything else is pretty straight forward. Also don't forget the foam gasket between the top of the filler tube to body.

Tip: Use some wd40 on the grommet and filler tube. Slides right in.

some tubes are mounted from inside, some from out side. If its an inside mount u will need to get the tube in the tank before final placement...

Yes this tube mounts from the inside. Has the vent tube that runs through the floor of trunk.

Takes two people, one to manage the tank, one to manage the tube. It's not difficult, just awkward to get the tank, tube and straps attached. Knees and hands.

After I cleaned up my original tank and tried to reinstall, the grommet I had bought on line months before was a dismal failure. Although it looked different it's the one they listed for the application. It wasn't much softer than the old cracked stock one that came off. By myself, I could not force the tank onto the tube no matter what. A lot people suggested the DMT grommet so I ordered it. It was much more pliable and a night and day difference for me on the install.
If you try it by yourself, make sure you have enough room to tilt the tank where needed and have something to provide support when/if you need to rest. Be careful to not slice the grommet with the tube. I sanded the tube end to make sure there was no sharp edge on it. It helps to have the tail pipes off too.
upload_2020-12-24_12-58-52.png

upload_2020-12-24_12-52-15.png

upload_2020-12-24_12-53-26.png

Takes two people, one to manage the tank, one to manage the tube. It's not difficult, just awkward to get the tank, tube and straps attached. Knees and hands.
transmission jack is a big help. get the car up as far as you can. it's going to move around quite a bit too, if you have fresh paint you don't want scratched, put painters tape on the exposed areas of the body

I've had my tank in and out multiple times, unfortunately. DMT gasket, a clean inlet tube, an empty tank, wipe a little oil on the seal, twist the tank up onto the inlet, a jack standing by with something soft on it, start the bolt, tighten down, done.

Well I have the luxury of a shop and a 4 post lift along with a transmission jack so I won’t be working on the ground. Now I’m waiting on the parts. Merry Christmas to all.

Well the tank came in yesterday. I got it installed and thought I would let you know how it went. I have car on a lift. I use a transmission Jack to hold the tank in place. I first installed the sender / pickup first. I had placed the filler neck gasket in the Sun to soften it up. I then used a product called Fluid Film and coat the gasket after I installed it in the tank. I cleaned the filler neck real good and I media blasted the first 6” that goes into the tank. I then sprayed FF on the neck a smeared it around. I remove the separate vent line that comes on Pre 69’s. I then hunk the tank and installed the tank straps very loose. I then lowered the car and was able to install the filler neck with the floor seal installed on it. I really went in easy. From there it was a matter of positioning the tank where I wanted it and tightened the strap J hooks. Then all that was left was the floor seal, 4 body screws to filler neck and reinstall vent tube.

C918D6CD-CAE8-4CE2-922F-59695D9DC329.jpeg

Fluid Film is some amazing stuff. Sprays on wet and stays that way. I sprayed this D-60 where I ground off the leaf spring saddles like 10-12 months ago. Looks like I just did it.

image.jpg

It’s slicker than whale **** on a iceberg. I swear if you use a little you can stretch a gnats *** over a telephone pole!

Well the tank came in yesterday. I got it installed and thought I would let you know how it went. I have car on a lift. I use a transmission Jack to hold the tank in place. I first installed the sender / pickup first. I had placed the filler neck gasket in the Sun to soften it up. I then used a product called Fluid Film and coat the gasket after I installed it in the tank. I cleaned the filler neck real good and I media blasted the first 6” that goes into the tank. I then sprayed FF on the neck a smeared it around. I remove the separate vent line that comes on Pre 69’s. I then hunk the tank and installed the tank straps very loose. I then lowered the car and was able to install the filler neck with the floor seal installed on it. I really went in easy. From there it was a matter of positioning the tank where I wanted it and tightened the strap J hooks. Then all that was left was the floor seal, 4 body screws to filler neck and reinstall vent tube.

View attachment 1715658865
Smooth install Roy!
Looks great.

Well I've been trying to catch a sale on a 1906 AVS2 Edelbrock. But I gave up, if I'm going to pay full price I might as well support my local Speed Shop. So I pick it up tomorrow.

Got it on and it fired right up. Very little tuning needed. Lowered the idle, mixture screws only had to be opened up about a half turn. Idles at 14 inches vacuum. I put 15 gallons of ethanol free
No leaks and gauge registers Full. All in all one of the easiest projects I’ve done. See 2021 is better already.

Whatcha working on Roy? Man some of these comments make me feel like the hulk! Lol 2 man job??, transmission jack?? I did mine by myself laying on my back in the hay! Lol.

20200515_162055.jpg

I also at the same time took and added a sixth leaf to my rear spring. I put new 5 leafs on it like 15 years ago and at first they were fine. But over time it settled. I took the next to last leaf from the bottom off a pair of 72 340 Duster 6 leafs it raised it about 3/4”

-
Back