Fuel Tank Removal

-

rp23g7

Reaction score
Before I remove it to fix a pesky leak from the sending unit seal. Can anyone tell me how the filler pipe is inserted into the tank?

Is there just a gasket it goes through, or is it held in by bolts or screws?

according to my 68 model year service manual it is bolted to the floor pan, then : "grasp filler tube with both hands, twist tube, and at the same time force downward into tank"

hope that gives you something to work with

Did this a few months back. Remove the screws at the quarter panel, loosen the rubber gasket at the floor and slide it up the tube for the time being. Then do your self a favor and spray some WD-40 on the rubber grommet that the tube goes through. Wiggle the tube around to work the WD-40 down in there. Once you get it to slip a little, then take the tank straps loose and let the tank down. As the take comes down start working the filler tube out with more WD-40. This is how I had to do it in my 69 Valiant. The manuals say to pull it, but the problem there, is that it will hit the inside of the quarter. Worst case scenerio take the tank and tube out together and remove it from the tank outside of the car. Hope this helps! lata man

Got any advise on putting the tank and tube back in. I've got mine out and now waiting on a new grommit seal to arrive
Bob.

i was gonna say, get a new filler neck grommet. i use either silicone spray or white lithium grease and a little persuasion. use a jack with a big wide block of wood toraise it into place, but ideally have a friend help you. 4 hands make the job way fster and way easier.

definately get some help I did mine alone and man it would have been nice to have a friend! I put my tank under the car, dropped the filler neck through the floor, and then pushedd the tube into the tank with WD-40 again. Once I had the tube partially into the tank I raised the tank and pushed the tube in the rest of the way. Continue to use some sort of safe lubricant every time you try to slide the tube. It is such a snug fit that the lubrication will be "squeegied" off as you push. Believe me it gets tough without it! Hope this answers your question. lata'

Thanks for the advise, I'll try to get the wife involved when the tank goes back in. She loves to help on the Duster. It just takes her sooooo long to get all the protective gear on she requires (coveralls,gloves,googles,hardhat,respirator,ect.)
Bob

-
Back