Fuel tank rubber hose lines, how long do they last

-

dodge freak

Reaction score
Those rubber hoses right near the gas tank, they have no pressure, just sight vacuum a few inches drawing the fuel to the steel gas lines. Mine look OK on outside, are 33 years old and planing on a 500 mile road trip soon.

Should I change those before the trip ? I don't know if I'm getting too worry and thinking of maybe problems. I never touched them cause they are leak free.

When they degrade, they usually show 2 problems:

1. Soft & gummy, usually from ethanol. This can cause them to collapse and restrict the fuel. Happened to me on a cross-country trip at the fuel pump inlet.

2. Hard and cracked. You can usually tell from the outside. The concern is if they degrade unseen on the inside and shed little rubber bits that can clog the fuel pump.

If you have car ramps, it isn't too hard to change. Since you say "hoses" (plural), you might have a later model with emission vapor return. Many suggest the "fuel injection" type hose since more resistant to ethanol. It does cost more and is harder to slip over the tubes. Heat it up first and lube inside w/ kerosene. I also prefer the "fuel injection" hose clamps since the worn screw type can **** and loosen.

when they degrade, they usually show 2 problems:

1. Soft & gummy, usually from ethanol. This can cause them to collapse and restrict the fuel. Happened to me on a cross-country trip at the fuel pump inlet.

2. Hard and cracked. You can usually tell from the outside. The concern is if they degrade unseen on the inside and shed little rubber bits that can clog the fuel pump.

If you have car ramps, it isn't too hard to change. Since you say "hoses" (plural), you might have a later model with emission vapor return. Many suggest the "fuel injection" type hose since more resistant to ethanol. It does cost more and is harder to slip over the tubes. Heat it up first and lube inside w/ kerosene. I also prefer the "fuel injection" hose clamps since the worn screw type can **** and loosen.

x2.

They can last a very long time. Last month I replaced what was almost certainly the original fuel hose at the tank on my '67 Barracuda when I changed the fuel sender. The hose was still flexible, not cracked or gummy.

It is worth checking yours, though.

My car was at the exhaust shop yesterday, hoses on the outside look fine. Yeah its a 1979 model but me and the dual carbs think its mid 60's.

I think they be fine but yeah would stink being 200 miles from home and no fuel to the pump.

-
Back