Fuel tank rust

-

Yote

Reaction score
i realize it's not Mopar but I have another classic (1930) that is getting some rust starting in the fuel tank. Tank was exceptionally clean when restoration was complete. I was using 10% ethanol blend until a couple of years ago then switched to non ethanol premium. I live in a low humidity (on average) area and vehicle is stored in a very good building not getting below
40' F.
Does anyone have any ideas how to prevent the rust or at least to greatly reduce it ???
Yote

I realize that would be best but as it doesn't get driven but little , I would hate to have a tank full of stale fuel and associated problems.
Yote

You could get the tank lined professionally but even that can come with problems.

Keep it full and use fuel stabilizer in the fuel. Every year or so make a point to run down the gas low over the course of a few days and fill it up again with a fresh tank. If you just can't drive it that much then every year or so siphon it, use that fuel in another vehicle, and fill it up with a fresh tank.

Eastwood sells a fuel tank lining kit that works very well. I used it once, and used the tank for about ten years.

I second the fuel stabilizer,better results with premium fuel too.
Sea foam provides up to one year of stabilized fuel,sta-bil up to two.
Storing vehicle where there are large temperature swings will cause condensation.

It's the unexposed areas of the tank that rust. (the top half when your tank is half full) Some type of liner material (scares me with today's gas) or keep the tank full with some stabilizer.

Here's another vote for Sta-Bil. I use it in all my small engines, boat, and the car when it's going to sit for a while. It works as advertised.

I have been told that green Marine Sta bil is superior to the Red. . Costs more. I have no personal experience with it.

Yes I have never used the liner either , but I too would not trust it.

-
Back