Fuel tank sending unit

-
Technically it can, but the gauge won't read correctly. Bend the arm so that when the tank is almost empty, the gauge indicates empty. It will just stay on full forever, and then start rapidly dropping once the level gets low enough to move the float. It's what I've done in the past so I knew if I had gas or not.
I don't understand this comment. Getting the gage to read empty when it is empty doesn’t compensate for proper operation.

Also made a calibration box that will work on oil, gas and temperature senders to show low medium and high ( empty, half, full) also available for loan

IMG_0438.jpeg

I don't understand this comment. Getting the gage to read empty when it is empty doesn’t compensate for proper operation.
No, but it can keep you from walkin. lol

No, but it can keep you from walkin. lol
So can just carrying a gas can in my trunk or making sure I keep the tank full. This is the problem with the garbage made today. People tolerate and accept poorly built items that either fail,don't fit or don't work correctly rather than refusing to buy them and complaing to the manufacturers and boycotting the item. Why reward them by buying junk?
I understand trying to make the best of the situation,but in the end we all lose because the manufacturers arent addressing the problem and correcting it. We shouldnt have to settle for this and have a "its better than nothing" attitude. They could have designed these coreectly. its completely inexcusable that they wouldn't put the care into manufacturing a part that fits and functions as it's supposed to.

I agree. It's a defective product and people shouldn't have to settle for this.
Guess I'm just going to look for an nos or rebuilt Original.

So can just carrying a gas can in my trunk or making sure I keep the tank full. This is the problem with the garbage made today. People tolerate and accept poorly built items that either fail,don't fit or don't work correctly rather than refusing to buy them and complaing to the manufacturers and boycotting the item. Why reward them by buying junk?
I understand trying to make the best of the situation,but in the end we all lose because the manufacturers arent addressing the problem and correcting it. We shouldnt have to settle for this and have a "its better than nothing" attitude. They could have designed these coreectly. its completely inexcusable that they wouldn't put the care into manufacturing a part that fits and functions as it's supposed to.
With some things, we don't have a choice. Not everyone is a guru and can disassemble and repair everything under the sun.

It doesn't do any good. One of the smaller companies that sell a sender, I called them to ask who makes it. The guy said they were made in house. When I asked if they were the correct non-linear, he said he's never heard of that, it's not a thing, and that I have no clue what I'm talking about. Even after explaining, he refused to believe it, and just kept saying I was wrong. I refused to buy it from them because I didn't feel like he would let me return it when it turned out to still be like all of the other ones. The Australian unit is the only one I've found that works almost perfectly. I'm sure my gauge isn't exactly calibrated correctly, but when it gets close to empty, it takes what you would expect to fill it back up.

With some things, we don't have a choice. Not everyone is a guru and can disassemble and repair everything under the sun.
I understand what you're saying,and I admire the folks here for trying to work around it,but it just disgusts me that so much of these aftermarket parts today are junk,and that we as a society have become apathetic and accepting of things that are cheaply made and don't function as they should,that its become normal. How many times do these smartphone companies release software with serious bugs in it,or automakers making cars with transmissions that fail at 20k miles. It's our hard earned money. In the "old days" companies cared much more. Most of the parts from the auto parts store are defective right out of the box I once went through 2 alternators before I got a good one. Even the repair shops are often incompetent. I paid to have a generator rebuilt for one of my 50's cars and it came back DOA. Had to drive back down to the shop,the guy put it on the bench and tested it and said "sorry,my guy is supposed to test them before the go out".
Anyway,I just think it's sad that folks here have to come up with all these work arounds and compromises just because the folks who make these parts are lazy and apathetic. You'd think people involved in reproducing these parts would love these cars and share our passion. Sadly that doesn't seem to be the case very often.

Last edited:
It doesn't do any good. One of the smaller companies that sell a sender, I called them to ask who makes it. The guy said they were made in house. When I asked if they were the correct non-linear, he said he's never heard of that, it's not a thing, and that I have no clue what I'm talking about. Even after explaining, he refused to believe it, and just kept saying I was wrong. I refused to buy it from them because I didn't feel like he would let me return it when it turned out to still be like all of the other ones. The Australian unit is the only one I've found that works almost perfectly. I'm sure my gauge isn't exactly calibrated correctly, but when it gets close to empty, it takes what you would expect to fill it back up.
You would think the makers would read these forums..maybe you should send the guy who you were trying to explain the problem too a link to some of the numerous threads here where people are complaining about these senders. Im just going to buy the Aussie sender since you say it works. I will say that I've been really impressed with the work I've seen people in Denmark,Sweden,Finland,Australia put into making parts that nobody else would make because it's not "profitable" enough. Especially for the finned mopars.
I'm curious though,why was there a long and short arm version of these senders? Did the tanks change from 1967-1969 to 1970 and later?

Last edited:
-
Back