Fuel tank vent line

-

ram45red

Reaction score
What is the best way to vent a fuel tank on a 73 Dart Swinger when not using EGR valve on anyother emission devices.I left it hooked up to the charcoal canister.Now I see signs of fumes coming out the gas cap.

I put a fuel filter on the vent hose and his it up high. My charcoal canister was gone long ago. Not saying it's the best, but it's working fine for now.

I just ran mine up the firewall a bit and ended it there, but I do get some fumes sometimes when filling the tank.
It goes away as soon as the car starts moving though.

If you have a vented cap you don't need the tank vent anyway.

Not sure if my cap is vented.What year cap do I need to be a vented one? Still want it to look OEM.

Not sure if my cap is vented.What year cap do I need to be a vented one? Still want it to look OEM.

NONE of these caps are what you call vented. Starting with the first of the evap emissions controls, all cars started using what are called "pressure vacuum" caps which have spring relief valves

The vent line originally had a check ball at the end. Cut that off. It's important to keep the open end of the front line "high" to prevent siphoning.

Also important to use the correct fuel cap for sealing. You don't want fuel all over the car. There were several changes over the years.

-
Back