Fuel tank

-

Holy Roller

Reaction score
Does it matter where you buy a replacement fuel tank from. Or if it's stainless or another metal? Also what about the sending unit...any better than the other.. thanks in advance.

Does it matter where you buy a replacement fuel tank from. Or if it's stainless or another metal? Also what about the sending unit...any better than the other.. thanks in advance.
Not unless you want to go with an efi setup, in which case you would benefit from using one made by Tanks inc or other products designed for in tank fuel pumps.
I have used Spectra brand and been happy with it.

Not unless you want to go with an efi setup, in which case you would benefit from using one made by Tanks inc or other products designed for in tank fuel pumps.
I have used Spectra brand and been happy with it.
Thank you, I didn't know if one brand was better than others when it came to a stock tank.

I got a new tank for my 66, the fill hole was in the wrong place! They replaced, it, and same thing. Not usable. Spent more money on a OEM tank, fits perfect. There is a difference...

Stainless steel is twice the price, but the stock ones lasted decades, so to me the standard replacement is fine.
I saw where Amazon sells them, but it's a brand that is made in Taiwan. I guess they're all made in China or somewhere. The price is 119.00 but not sure about it.

I got a new tank for my 66, the fill hole was in the wrong place! They replaced, it, and same thing. Not usable. Spent more money on a OEM tank, fits perfect. There is a difference...
I've seen OEM and was told about Spectra. And you right they are higher, but I guess that goes back to that old saying. "You get what you pay for" quality does make a difference.

Ordered one from Car Parts (the old J.C Whitney firmy 65 Dart wagon. Fit like a glove.

Last edited:
Try and reuse your sender. Not many good aftermarket ones out there. If you go aftermarket save the mounting ring from your old one. It is thicker and the AM ones don't lock tight enough.

Try and reuse your sender. Not many good aftermarket ones out there. If you go aftermarket save the mounting ring from your old one. It is thicker and the AM ones don't lock tight enough.

That's right. The aftermarket senders are not A-body specific. They are not properly calibrated for the fact that the upper half of the tank has the spare tire well cutout. You can possibly tweak them so that E and F are more or less correct, but every reading in between will be wrong.

Thank you for letting me know about the sender. I had planned on using the lock ring, but I don't think the sender may be any good. Is there a brand you can suggest...

That's right. The aftermarket senders are not A-body specific. They are not properly calibrated for the fact that the upper half of the tank has the spare tire well cutout. You can possibly tweak them so that E and F are more or less correct, but every reading in between will be wrong.

-
Back