Fuel & Temp Gauge Madness

-

Autoholic

Reaction score
Recently my Fuel and Temp Gauges have both decided to stop working correctly. The Temp gauge goes all the way to the right and Fuel just goes where it pleases. They are standard gauges and senders and my dash has not been messed with at all.

Any ideas how I can rectify this? I've had a look under the dash but can't see anything for the column etc.

Thanks

Thanks Guys. Do I have to take the dash out to fit a new one or can I do it in place?

If you had a pic of whats back there you would see there are 2 connecters in the 12 volt slot. That second connecter is the wire from the noise supression capasitor. it is possible to remove the plug in limiter and replace it and keep that second wire in place too. It aint easy or recommended, but doable.
Best plan is pull the panel. do some general maintanance, cleaning, etc.., and replace all the light bulbs. Good for several more years.

I should add ,On ocassion the limiters have started fires under the dash. A stuck closed mechanical limiter will fry itself in most cases. It will fry gauges one at a time before frying itself. Until you are ready to repair / replace it do this.. raise the hood and disconnect the single wire connections at oil sender and temp sender. The fuel sender can be disconnected under the car or just cut the wire inside the trunk.

-
Back