Fuel Vapor Hose Routing

-

jar84203

Reaction score
I'm having trouble understanding how the vapor hoses are supposed to be routed for the PCV system on a 71 Duster 225ci 1 bbl. There is a hose that comes from the fuel tank, fuel pump, and carb bowl vent. Are the three of these supposed to be hooked to the crankcase breather? When I first bought the vehicle, the carb bowl was connected to the fuel pump? Is this right? How are they venting if connected together? I'm confused...please help. Thanks in advance.

All three should go down to the charcoal canister. Look at Allpar or do a search for the hose routing for your 71. I have a 70 if you can find a match it may be close. BTW its one of the few smog systems worth keeping.
Frank

Wasn't 71 the single year they didn't have the charcoal canister, and stored the fuel vapors in the crankcase? There was discussion of that system over at slantsix.org. Go there and use the seach function.

Wasn't 71 the single year they didn't have the charcoal canister, and stored the fuel vapors in the crankcase? There was discussion of that system over at slantsix.org. Go there and use the seach function.

Alright thanks. Yeah I couldn't find the charcoal canister...i'll do some looking around.

I remember this one clearly:

No charcoal canister on '71's.

The metal line from the tank to the right fender apron connects to the crank breather, which has 2 outlets, one large and one small.

The carb vent line connects to a port on the top of the fuel pump, vapors are stored in the crankcase.

It's a poor system, every one I've seen had excessive crank times when hot because of the vapors not exiting the carb bowl.

-
Back