fueling issue?

-

DartVadar

Reaction score
I was driving my dart around today, this morning it was nice and sunny, the car ran perfectly, air fuel ratio on the gauge was where it always is. Then I got caught in some rain and it got pretty cold, was running good for a bit but then the air fuel started jumping around and leaning out, then it started cuting in and out like it was running out of fuel, but it has a full tank. Barely runs, I had to get it towed home. I canstart it up, and seems to idle ok, just under More rpms Is when it dies.

I'm thinking its a fuel related issue. I have a mechanical pump (pretty new) and a fuel pressure gauge that was reading about 2 psi, so pretty low. Think something got clogged up in the tank? Or could the fuel pump be starting to fail?

Engine is a 360, Holley 650 on top, combo is pretty new (1000 miles) oil pressure is great and never changed, so engine is not the issue.

See what the gas in the filter looks like.

I took the fuel filter apart, and it had crap in it, then I took a look in the fuel tank, and ended up taking it out completely. It's the original tank and it's really dirty inside! Full of rust, so I'm sure that's what my issue is.

Now what is the best route to take now? Get a new tank, or can I get my current one cleaned?

why not use it if its in good shape.clean all the rust out and have a look.although new tanks are not that much.your choice

I had a rusty tank once. But worse the alchoholized fuel washed all the varnish off the inside of the tank.
At first the rust came out and clooged 2 filters. Then the varnish started to come through. Clogged 2 more.
At this point changing filters on the side of the road was getting old. I put in a new tank. Later I learned that acetone will clean out the tank pretty good. Since a new tank, here in Mb was over $200, I had tried other solvents, to no success.
If you dont have a varnish issue, but only rust;I did have success on a different tank, with a box of brand new 5/16 nickel plated nuts. Threw the whole boxful in there with about 2 qts of Varsol. Then it was shake,rattle, and roll until I couldnt lift the tank any more. Rest. Repeat. Rest.Repeat......Drain. Flush.
Put er back in with a new filter, and done.
Good luck

I just had a ignition coil die, that....acted alot like you are describing.

I had done some changes, recently and only had 300 or so miles on the changes....

(changed intake manifolds....fuel pump, oil pan gasket, valve cover gaskets, ect.)

And based on how it would crank....although hard when hot....it would run till 190* or so and then start stalling and stumbling...and I would have to feather the pedal to keep it running.
I have a fuel pressure gauge on my Holley 650 DP....and it was putting up less than 2 psi.
I believed the Heat Cross over was causing my intake to get too hot and boil my fuel.

I bought a square bore heat insulator gasket....and another set of intake gaskets...with block off tabs...changed it all out and it still did it.
I changed the ignition coil and, What do you know.....:burnout: :farao:
No more problems.

Dump some pea gravel in the tank. Get a friend and shake it like yall are having an epileptic fit. A LOT. Stop and rest. Repeat. Stop and rest. Repeat. You get the picture. When you think you are done, dump the gravel out, rinse it out and probably repeat some more. lol

When you get it CLEAN AND DRY get a can of Red Coat and coat the inside of the tank. It has to dry COMPLETELY. Sometimes it takes several days for Red Coat to dry. Once cured, the tank will out last you.

Red Coat is available at O'Reilly Auto Parts.

My brother took a fuel tank to a local radiator shop. They took it apart, cleaned it and coated it inside with some kind of red sealer. Maybe red coat.

I got the tank all nice and clean and coated (lots of crap in there!) blew out the fuel lines and installed a new fuel filter. But I'm still having a problem. I'm still not getting any fuel to the carb, and my fuel pressure gauge isn't showing any pressure, so I'm starting to think it's something to do with the fuel pump.

The mechanical pump is an edelbrock one, and it's about 2 years old. Can mechanical pumps suddenly fail? And I checked to make sure it wasn't pumping gas into the engine (heard it can happen if they fail).

Everything ignition wide is brand new, and the motor will fire if I pour some gas down the carb it runs for a bit, and the floats in the carb aren't filling up.

At this point should I replace the fuel pump? It's really the only thing left to change.

-
Back