Full exhaust with relocation kit: take #3

-

roccodart440

Reaction score
I have skinned this cat 2x and really haven't been totally happy with the end result in either case. Be it appearance or function. The first 2 solutions didn't do it for me. So I've found yet another solution i'll be trying shortly.

Method 1: Side exit with full exhaust
This uses a TA or AAR style muffler with side exits.

Problem: Not a fan of the look.

Method 2: The nova method. Send the tailpipes through the rear of the leaf springs.

Problem: pipes hit the springs if you don't have the car jacked up to the moon in the back.

00F0F_gJMaPqYfZVV_600x450.jpg

600884_10201040518484549_997686560_n.jpg

20150430_150936.jpg

20150430_150928.jpg

Method 3: The mustang method. Ditch the useless spare tire well.1

I'm going to remove the spare tire well and put in a fuel cell that will take the place of the trunk floor. Here is a cell that is the right size to allow tailpipes. It also comes with a submersible pump that will run anything that you put in front of it.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aei-18660/overview/

I have skinned this cat 2x and really haven't been totally happy with the end result in either case. Be it appearance or function. The first 2 solutions didn't do it for me. So I've found yet another solution i'll be trying shortly.

Method 1: Side exit with full exhaust
This uses a TA or AAR style muffler with side exits.

Problem: Not a fan of the look.

Method 2: The nova method. Send the tailpipes through the rear of the leaf springs.

Problem: pipes hit the springs if you don't have the car jacked up to the moon in the back.

View attachment 1714978957

View attachment 1714978958

View attachment 1714978959

View attachment 1714978960
I ask someone a while back, what would stop them from getting hit by the springs. was told no problem , will work. ''I DIDN`T THINK IT WOULD !" I have mine dumped just in front of the rear end, it`s a little quieter than side exits, but stir up dirt on a unpaved road. I like the fuel cell deal, but I want to carry some sort of spare. haven`t got that far yet.

For most people here putting the tailpipes through the rear of the leafs wouldn't be an issue. It really depends how high your car sits. Mine sits pretty low, especially since I run 28's on the rear and still achieve the ride height I have. To give you an idea, my quarter opening is about even with the top of my 15" wheel with 28" diameter tires mounted on them.

Most guys here couldn't even fit a full size spare in their trunks, including me. You need a full size spare with a posi rear (or whatever you guys want to call them). Even if I had one, I'm not going to change a tire with a bumper jack or a rinky dink pump job and an extension.

Now, If you made your own mount you could fit a spare in our trunks. But that's another story...

you ought to try stuffing a full 3" system under there with a ladder bar setup - I too have visited it twice (and a half) - try 1. - the side exit "worked" to some degree - but the state inspector said no and failed the car. try 2. - I did a real down and dirty pipe mash using most of the side system and added a pipe or two and got it to pass, but it was BUTT-F-ING UGLY!! LOL. try 3. - After the engine re-install this past spring I spent a little more time with it and was able to run it out the back - full 3" -- BUT, it had to go under the rearend - better looking than it was by a long shot - but still not totally happy with it... guess what I will be farting around with this off season...

if a side exit is "legal" where u are I think that is fine. is the universal 0-90 ohm sender compatible with mopar? I carry 2 spares, and have leaf springs moved in, so no tailpipes

No, I'd buy a new gauge or an adapter etc. One or the other would solve that

you ought to try stuffing a full 3" system under there with a ladder bar setup - I too have visited it twice (and a half) - try 1. - the side exit "worked" to some degree - but the state inspector said no and failed the car. try 2. - I did a real down and dirty pipe mash using most of the side system and added a pipe or two and got it to pass, but it was BUTT-F-ING UGLY!! LOL. try 3. - After the engine re-install this past spring I spent a little more time with it and was able to run it out the back - full 3" -- BUT, it had to go under the rearend - better looking than it was by a long shot - but still not totally happy with it... guess what I will be farting around with this off season...

I managed to squeeze a full 3" system on mine that comes out at rear bumper. My car is mini tubbed with inboarded springs, and lowered. It was not easy, but it worked, just took some time. Every once in a while at idle I get a rattle, that'll be this winters project to fix.

I managed to squeeze a full 3" system on mine that comes out at rear bumper. My car is mini tubbed with inboarded springs, and lowered. It was not easy, but it worked, just took some time. Every once in a while at idle I get a rattle, that'll be this winters project to fix.

]It may be possible, as you've proven, with something other than TTI tailpipes. Theirs will not work.

I thought we were talking custom exhausts since I didn't see any brands referenced in the thread. Yes you are correct, the only way it would work with theirs would be with a cutoff wheel, a welder, and some extra pieces of tubing!

I have been considering going back to leaf springs and an 8.75 for this exact reason

Dana vs. 8.75 doesn't change much in regards to the exhaust. The fuel tank is a much bigger issue.

I had a narrowed stock tank with the pipes through the springs. It was low and the springs would hit the pipes. My future thought is eliminate the spare tire well and use a 62-65 Fairlane tank. I'm not a fan of fuel cells in the trunk.

Mine is a stock tank, the passenger side fit decent, the drivers side I had to put a few dents in the pipe to get around the tank and the rear leaf shackle. I'll see if I have any pics.

I had a narrowed stock tank with the pipes through the springs. It was low and the springs would hit the pipes. My future thought is eliminate the spare tire well and use a 62-65 Fairlane tank. I'm not a fan of fuel cells in the trunk.

Same here. Narrowed mine

10685553_10204960777048563_439296892838861523_n.jpg

I did mine with tti 2.5 x exhaust system.
Mini tubed 67 dart
Springs moved to frame rail.
Debated on what to do when I pulled out the zip cut blades and went to work
Removed spare tire well and mounted my custom stainless tank there.
Exhaust pipes travel alongside the tank and exit at the bumper. Only issue is the pipes are about 3 inches closer to the center of a stick car.
I believe I have photos of it somewhere on this site. Probably my build thread

Mine is a stock tank, the passenger side fit decent, the drivers side I had to put a few dents in the pipe to get around the tank and the rear leaf shackle. I'll see if I have any pics.

0708161218_zpsf09pcjfb.jpg

No pics of the under side at the moment, but here is the driver side pipe.

0415161329_zps5gawqekf.jpg

Finaly someone who has tried the Nova/camaro style tailpipes.sorry to hear it did not work very well.
Eliminating the sparetire well and going to a fuelcell opens up a whole lot of space and options.

Finaly someone who has tried the Nova/camaro style tailpipes.sorry to hear it did not work very well.
Eliminating the sparetire well and going to a fuelcell opens up a whole lot of space and options.
try 3/4" offset spring hangars , new stock tank , and a dana 60 , 295 65 15`s , dual 3 1/2" exhausts , wanting to carry a spare also. no room, shoulda built a B body-----not ! still thinking about spare tire well-fuel cell thing too.

Great thread. Im hoping to see more pics from those that have exhaust on so far. I have the same issue with my 66 dart and 3" exhaust. Just starting to work on getting it out the back now. The side exhaust in front of tire is not an option as the muffler sits back to far for side exit. Was thinking maybe come out just behind the rear tires? In Pa the laws say it must come out from under the vehicle so turn downs are not an option. Will keep watching this to see if anyone can posts pics.
Thanks Rod

-
Back