Full Groove Main Bearing Set - Thrust Bearing Not Fully Grooved

-

Rocket

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I ordered a set of fully grooved Mahle (Clevite) main bearings from Summit. First time I have ordered fully grooved main bearings. I was surprised to see that one of the thrust bearing halves was not fully grooved while all the other 4 journal bearing halves were fully grooved. I called Summit and they confirmed that that is how they come per the Mahle catalogue. It was not a mistake.

Do other manufacturers provide thrust bearings where both halves are fully grooved? I am curious.

MS-963P

The picture on summit looks to only have one side grooved. But you never know with these online pictures as they often use "generic" pictures.

Clevite Engine Parts MS-963P Clevite P-Series Main Bearings | Summit Racing

Here is a picture but I have not opened the package. Not a great shot. The last bearing is the other half of the thrust bearing and is grooved. The first bearing in the photo is the i grooved thrust bearing half.

992C0AB0-2A01-4914-8139-D47A694B4109.jpeg

Last edited:
I ordered the same set of bearing in Std. I will check them tomorrow

clevite 1344, mains are all full grooved, fits
clevite 1344, mains are all full grooved, fits 318,
It's after 1975. Chrysler changed the thrust bearing to where they have what you would call a small thrust bearing an a large thrust bearing.
All 340s had the small thrust bearing. The 4 other bearings will fit they weren't changed. They did this on the 318 and the 360s also.

They are not the bearings he wants if he has a 340 block. Or a block earlier than 1975.

i run 1970 340 bl0cks , and use the 1344 mains always, had no fit problems. since 1977, just food for thought

-
Back