Full Repaint Question

-
Take it to Maaco. Their top level paint job is around $2500. That will get you decent quality paint and primer, and includes some body work to get it straight.

Like some others have said, you can redo the car later when you are out in the workforce making big money $$$$

And that is only if you keep the car that long.

Thanks for everyone's response so far. As much as I'd like to hear it not cost that much I appreciate real-world input on this so I know what I'm getting into.
There are lots of levels of paint jobs. $40k AMAZING, PERFECT, show car paint jobs- all the way down to Macco $99.99 paint job (although it's probably $599 now). Let me say this. If there is a Maaco paint place, or some other cheap car painting place, near you, go and talk to them. I have seen people on this forum who have used them and had excellent results. Think about it; the guy in the paint booth does nothing but spray cars all day. He is probably pretty good at it. Those places specialize in scuff and spray jobs. That means that their surface prep consists of scuffing the existing paint lightly, doing a quick and crappy masking job and spraying cheap paint as thinly as possible to achieve coverage. HOWEVER, they do offer other services. They will do body repair, prime the car, sand the primer, do much better prep and masking and spray base/clear with more paint for better coverage. They are happy to do the extra work, and it will be a lot less than a traditional body shop. I've seen $3000 paint jobs from places like that that looked pretty darn good. So if your car is going to be a driver, please look into it. I checked, and there is a Maaco in Vegas. Also, FWIW, I used to flip a few cars, and I would do the surface prep and pay Maaco for a slightly upgraded paint job, and they always looked fine.

$10 to $15 K if it is done right.Strip the exterior and sand the jams. $999.99 at Maco, Tape and shoot with a quick scuff and Jamm-it for all the jams. The jams will be extra $399.99. That is single stage only

The time has come that my dart is ready to be painted. I'm in college so I don't have the time or space, or skill right now to do it myself. I'm aware that every shop is different and that cost generally depends on the quality but can anyone shed light on what I should expect to pay for a full repaint with OEM or similar quality. Any info would help. Thank you.

It depends on the level of re-paint. Are you changing the color? How much work does it need? How far do you want it stripped down? What paint is currently on it.

Around me you are looking at 5-10 for a basic re-paint and about 20k for essentially a frame off really stripped down job.

Opinions vary widely.

All said, I have done repaint color change for as low as $550 in materials and I could easily envision thousands in materials as the high end. Its the labor that kills you but makes ALL the difference.

So let me put my "Dad" hat on... You are in college, real pressures of real life financials coming very soon. If the paint is OK, just drive it until you can afford to restore it, about when you are 50 or so. OR, get a good buddy or 3, prep the car yourself, tow to MAACO and have them shoot it. Then put it back together. The work you do will determine the cost and it will look as good as you want it to be.

RGAZ

Do your own prep and take it to Maaco - ought to last till you graduate and get a good job and can pay for a real paint job. Or, do the whole thing yourself assuming you have time and a place to work. I repainted my W-250 2 years ago for a couple hundred bucks + some time. I used oil based rustoleum thinned with mineral sprits through an $11.00 Harbor Freight HVLP gun. 2 years in and it still looks good.

IMG_1730.JPG

There are lots of levels of paint jobs. $40k AMAZING, PERFECT, show car paint jobs- all the way down to Macco $99.99 paint job (although it's probably $599 now). Let me say this. If there is a Maaco paint place, or some other cheap car painting place, near you, go and talk to them. I have seen people on this forum who have used them and had excellent results. Think about it; the guy in the paint booth does nothing but spray cars all day. He is probably pretty good at it. Those places specialize in scuff and spray jobs. That means that their surface prep consists of scuffing the existing paint lightly, doing a quick and crappy masking job and spraying cheap paint as thinly as possible to achieve coverage. HOWEVER, they do offer other services. They will do body repair, prime the car, sand the primer, do much better prep and masking and spray base/clear with more paint for better coverage. They are happy to do the extra work, and it will be a lot less than a traditional body shop. I've seen $3000 paint jobs from places like that that looked pretty darn good. So if your car is going to be a driver, please look into it. I checked, and there is a Maaco in Vegas. Also, FWIW, I used to flip a few cars, and I would do the surface prep and pay Maaco for a slightly upgraded paint job, and they always looked fine.
I agree with all the posts advising you to go to Maaco, or similar. BUT, be aware that every little ding will really show up with the fresh paint, so don't leave any dings/dents thinking they won't be noticed, because they definitely will be. Like a beautiful woman with a big zit in the middle of her forehead (you are welcome for that visual). And, people will be constantly telling you that it's a nice paint job, but you should have had the dings fixed first.

I agree with all the posts advising you to go to Maaco, or similar. BUT, be aware that every little ding will really show up with the fresh paint, so don't leave any dings/dents thinking they won't be noticed, because they definitely will be. Like a beautiful woman with a big zit in the middle of her forehead (you are welcome for that visual). And, people will be constantly telling you that it's a nice paint job, but you should have had the dings fixed first.

Well, the beauty with both women and cars is they have a front and a back and many of them should only be admired from a distance.

I'm having my Cuda repainted this winter & although the body looked straight before stripping, it still required considerable prep before paint. $10,000 easy.

Last edited:
Several of the Scuff and Squirt places actualy do pretty nice work if you just want paint. Remove all chrome, mirrors, lights, antennas etc yourself, then sand to about 220=320 grit ALL OVER. Dont go thru the existing paint, unless its peeling or cracked. you may find damage that will need to be addressed- dont panic. Maaco and others can fix that too. ball park, you deliver a prepped car, no color change, to One Day, Maaco, or others with no body work it will be between $2000-5000- Not a show paint job, but no need for a bag on your head either.

Like I said, the prep is how far you want to go. This truck I painted with no prep, just sand and repaint. The guy did not want to spend the money. Still looks OK, jsut not great.

BEFORE......

IMG_0350.JPG

AFTER.... (Only $400 spent)

IMG_0392.JPG

He said his wife wouldn't ride in it with the clearcoat that bad, now she is happy to ride.

Used cheapest BCC/CC Kirker Paint kit from Dad's Customs.

RGAZ

A lot people have given you advice but no one offered what you asked about. You asked about an OEM or similar quality repaint. Since you are obviously on a budget, I suggest that you check with Maaco. I received a quote from Maaco to paint my '05 Sebring convertible, that needs no body work with original color, for below $1000. If you are willing to do some of the prep, it could be less. They did a nice color change with some body work on my '65 Barracuda for $3000. They are capable of very nice work. Good luck!!

A lot people have given you advice but no one offered what you asked about. You asked about an OEM or similar quality repaint. Since you are obviously on a budget, I suggest that you check with Maaco.

Huh? A bunch of people have offered the same suggestion as you (to go to MAACO).

There are a couple guys on hear with Maaco/Earl Schieb paint jobs that look awesome. I wonder what a place like that charges these days.
I just got my 1959 Dodge pick up painted at Advance Auto Body & Paint in Chula Vista (San Diego) - formerly Earl Scheib. Two tone colors top and bottom, some minor weld of cracks and surface rust repair; $2800.00 out the door. I had all the trim and bumpers removed before hand. All my sheet met a was good to start with except a few places on hood and bed rails.

I totally agree with not painting over dents. Maaco does body work too. They can take care of dents and dings. If the Op has the ability to do his own work, great. I probably had 5 cars painted at Macco for a quick flip. I did all the bodywork (dents, dings, chips, etc.), sprayed Dupli Color rattle can primer on all bodywork, Block sanded and wet sanded entire car with 320 and 400 before I showed up. I worked out with the manager a good time to drop the car off, so that it would be left inside overnight and sprayed the next day. When I dropped it off, in the parking lot I would remove the last few things like headlights and taillights. I always had to sign a waiver since I did my own prep. Then their inexpensive base/clear job looked really good, and "New Paint" always helped sell a car.

Unfortunately the test of body/paint work is 6 months or a year or three years later!!!! lol
Most people want a $10,000 paint job for $1500.
Then there is the shop that wants to give you a $1500 job and charge you $10,000 and take 3 years to do it!!! and never finish it. LOL
Perfection costs $$$$.

1. Get rid of rust pay or do it your self, otherwise waste of time.
2. The job will be as good as the surface (prep).
3. Want it nice, make it straight and smooth. Someone has to be able to lay down good material.
4. You gonna drive it, it will never stay perfect anyway!

I totally agree with not painting over dents. Maaco does body work too. They can take care of dents and dings. If the Op has the ability to do his own work, great. I probably had 5 cars painted at Macco for a quick flip. I did all the bodywork (dents, dings, chips, etc.), sprayed Dupli Color rattle can primer on all bodywork, Block sanded and wet sanded entire car with 320 and 400 before I showed up. I worked out with the manager a good time to drop the car off, so that it would be left inside overnight and sprayed the next day. When I dropped it off, in the parking lot I would remove the last few things like headlights and taillights. I always had to sign a waiver since I did my own prep. Then their inexpensive base/clear job looked really good, and "New Paint" always helped sell a car.
I also had Macco paint a car for me a long time ago. 30 years, maybe? I did all the prep work and it turned out great. The cost is was $299. They are running a special now for the same service for $699. Not bad in my opinion. And yes, they wouldn't guarantee anything because they didn't do the prep work. Which is reasonable I think.

It's been a couple of months since I've done a right up on this post but I figured now is a good time to give yall an update. First off, most of the estimates yall gave were spot on, 10k+ for a quality job, and $500-$3000 for a budget job (really no in between), after that I pretty much wrote off doing it right now. The paint on the side of the car was decent, and the spray can job that my dad and I did on the hood and roof turned out surprisingly good so it was basically just the top of the fenders and the trunk that looked terrible. However, I'm blessed to have grandparents that are very interested in seeing the car "done". They offered to help me pay to get the car painted as an early graduation gift, so I'm going through with it. I decided to go with a local guy who admittedly does higher-price frame-off builds, but agreed to paint my car because he's a Mopar guy. He was happy to tell me that his first car was a plum crazy 340 duster and his lead mechanic worked on the Chrysler assembly line in the 60-70s so I know I'm in good hands. Of course, the car isn't as perfect as I thought I'm the 2nd titled owner of the car and It looks great but the painter brought to my attention that the left rear quarter was originally f8 green and an old accident repair which was very obvious to him upon sanding. I will be providing pictures through this process to show anyone who is interested how it's going.

It's been a couple of months since I've done a right up on this post but I figured now is a good time to give yall an update. First off, most of the estimates yall gave were spot on, 10k+ for a quality job, and $500-$3000 for a budget job (really no in between), after that I pretty much wrote off doing it right now. The paint on the side of the car was decent, and the spray can job that my dad and I did on the hood and roof turned out surprisingly good so it was basically just the top of the fenders and the trunk that looked terrible. However, I'm blessed to have grandparents that are very interested in seeing the car "done". They offered to help me pay to get the car painted as an early graduation gift, so I'm going through with it. I decided to go with a local guy who admittedly does higher-price frame-off builds, but agreed to paint my car because he's a Mopar guy. He was happy to tell me that his first car was a plum crazy 340 duster and his lead mechanic worked on the Chrysler assembly line in the 60-70s so I know I'm in good hands. Of course, the car isn't as perfect as I thought I'm the 2nd titled owner of the car and It looks great but the painter brought to my attention that the left rear quarter was originally f8 green and an old accident repair which was very obvious to him upon sanding. I will be providing pictures through this process to show anyone who is interested how it's going.
Good for you. It looks like you've got some quality people involved and great family support! Definitely keep us updated. Thanks.

Thanks for the follow-up and it sounds like things will work out well after all. Keep us updated with pics!

Just an idea. If you were to bring me your car for a paint job, no jambs & i take things off like bumpers emblems door handles ect your looking at around 8-10 thousand. The clear i use went up almost $200 bucks for a gallon. Things are getting expensive.

59 D100.jpg

I just got my 1959 Dodge pick up painted at Advance Auto Body & Paint in Chula Vista (San Diego) - formerly Earl Scheib. Two tone colors top and bottom, some minor weld of cracks and surface rust repair; $2800.00 out the door. I had all the trim and bumpers removed before hand. All my sheet met a was good to start with except a few places on hood and bed rails.

-
Back