Fun with Lokar kickdown

-

JR

Pissed off senior member.
Reaction score
I got the new (rebuilt a year ago and just sat on a shelf until this weekend) 727 in and made up some new fluid lines to the cooler. Now Im trying to get the lokar cable fine tunned, the cable was on the old tranny for about 2 months so Im pretty sure that all the streach is out of it. My 1-2 shift is nice and firm but my 2-3 shift is all weird. From a dead stop it will shift into 2nd fineand when it goes into 3rd it will "pulse" until I let off the gas just a little bit.
All of the slack is out of the cable and Ive tried adjusting it abunch of different ways, Im tired of dealing with it and thinking about going back to the 3 peice rod set up. So far it looks like I paied 64 bucks for a billit headache.
Has anyone else had problems with the lokar kickdown?

I've never heard the term "pulse" used when describing a shifting problem so sorry but I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Maybe try backing off the adjustment of the cable just slightly so there's a little slack in it. That will allow it to go into third a little quicker.

BTW: Do I understand you correctly as saying you did opperate it with the old style linkage on it before installing the Lokar cable system and it worked right? It was only after you installed the Lokar system that the problem happened? Make sure your blaming the right part. Just because the trans. is rebuilt don't mean it's right and what your describing sounds more like a transmission problem than a throttle pressure (kickdown linkage) problem. I know you don't really want to hear that and I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but that's what it sounds like.

Good luck.

Sounds like a trans problem not a cable problem as it was working before on your old trans. New or rebuilt still means it was put together by a human and as far as I know there's no one that is perfect. Close maybe but not perfect.

-
Back