Funny noise

-

reno340

I Am The Big Dog
Reaction score
On the way to the cruise in, my car suddenly developed a noise in the tranny. Will not do it in park, will in neutral on idle. Rev, and it goes away. In gear, decelerate and it comes on. Sit in gear at light, it happens. Accelerate, and it goes away. Rebuilt transmission and new B&M torque converter. If car has sat, I meet to pump the fluid to tranny by running it in neutral. Only need to do it once until the next day or so. Strong and firm shifts w/ manual valve body. No slipping at all!!

Last edited:
On the way to the cruise in, my car suddenly developed a noise in the tranny. Will not do it in park, will in neutral on idle. Rev, and it goes away. In gear, decelerate and it comes on. Sit in gear at light, it happens. Accelerate, and it goes away. Rebuilt transmission and new B&M torque converter. If car has sat, I meet to pump the fluid to tranny by running it in neutral. Only need to do it once until the next day or so. Strong and firm shifts w/ manual valve body. No slipping at all!!

Nevermind, I found it. Broken Flex plate

I had all 4 ears cracked and I got it home. I didnt even know it until I parked it and was so annoyed by the new trans noise that I raced it in neutral and shot a broken piece out the bottom, off the street and back up into the floorboard. scared the **** out of me. I got under there and removed the flex plate bolts and every ear fell out.
It was then that I found out about the 'T-flite Paddy' covertor bushing for an old trans and a newer motor.

I had all 4 ears cracked and I got it home. I didnt even know it until I parked it and was so annoyed by the new trans noise that I raced it in neutral and shot a broken piece out the bottom, off the street and back up into the floorboard. scared the **** out of me. I got under there and removed the flex plate bolts and every ear fell out.
It was then that I found out about the 'T-flite Paddy' covertor bushing for an old trans and a newer motor.

Can you tell me more about that? I have an older trans in my Duster. I do have a new bushing installed. The front pump (I think) and clutch pack and shaft are for newer 727

Last edited:
well, I had an OG 65 "S" with the cable operated transmission and I put a 68 318 short block in it after I spun a tired 273/4 rod bearing. Well, the 68 had the new larger snout bore in the crank so the smaller 65 convertor snout never centered and the flex plate took the punishment of any out of alignment that I had when I torqued the bolts down. Could have been a hair off but every rotation would have flexed the ears. They finally let go. The bushing centers the old convertor in the new crank so there is no alignment issues and no crazy speed wobbles at 6000 RPM just like a stock setup. I then gave up the old cable shift trans for the newer style 904 as no aftermarket shifter would work, and then had to get a slip yoke driveshaft. that gave me a good reason to get the 8.75 I always wanted and then I walked into a 340 deal that I couldnt pass up. It all came together in a matter of 2 months.

My Wife called one time still 500 miles or so from home and the little ones with her saying that her van was making a noise.
After asking her a few questions and a through the phone listen I knew what it was.
I told her to just keep going until it stopped or she got home.
When she got back with it the entire center of the flex plate was busted out and only held because the cracks banged flat spots in themselves to push against.
Got lucky and it made it all the way. :D

-
Back