Funny stories about Mopars

-

Drache

1971 Dodge Dart Swinger
Reaction score
I've grown up on the stories of my dad and his '70 Charger R/T back when he was in high school and many of them were hilarious.

One though was about a kid in his school who wanted to buy a car. It was a Dodge Demon. Yet when the kid brought it home he got in serious trouble. See, his parents were very VERY religious and did not like the fact that the car said "Demon" and had a picture of the devil. So he was told he had to tear off all the Demon insignia on the entire car if he wanted to keep it and only refer to the car as "The Dodge". :D

Old guys will remember a TV show named 'Candid Camera'. They would set up ridiculous situations and film with a hidden camera. There was one skit where a B body taxi would pull up to a busy hotel to pick up passengers with the front right wheel missing from the car. The driver didn't drive slowly; He would pull up and brake hard. the front corner would dip down but not scrape. Did it over and over while the camera recorded people's reactions. Supposedly nothing special was done to the car other than to remove the wheel.

here is a true story. my dad and i was very close. we worked on lots of mopars. and went to lots of drag races. here is the story. one time we was working on a mopar. then my dad goes tooooot. whats that dad? thats the break whistle. we will go inside and talk about wild women, drinking whiskey and how fast those race cars go. the i said well dad we dont chase wild women or drink whiskey. so the only thing we are going to talk about is how fast those race cars go. true story.

Got busted by an old girlfriend when the courtesy light in the back seat of my charger
had a hole in the lense that matched her friends shoe.

When I picked up my 66 Coronet, I was driving home and every time I took a corner I could hear water sloshing around. Had no idea where it was coming from. When checking out the car at home I couldn't get the console lid open. After a few attempts at prying at it, it popped open. It was full of water! The typical wiper pivot leak ran inside and down the console. Thus filling it up and rusting the latch.

My senior year in HS, I was working at a local service station after school, and the full time mechanic was a chevy guy. :violent1: He had taken the day off and traded his 67 327, 4 spd Nova for a new 68 Barracuda Formula S Notch. He drove into the lot and we were all drooling over this bright red cuda with black vinyl top and white lower side stripes, the sweet sound of that new mopar idling was music to our ears. I looked at the hood inserts and said to him, "wow, this new 340 is a fantastic engine, super fast, etc, etc. especially with the 4 spd and so on. And... old Georgie went off, I mean he started cursing... "340?? What do you mean 340! I thought it was a 440!!! He is really ticked. He thought he bought a 68 cuda with a 440. LOL! I still laugh every time I remember that night.

After he started winning races with it he came to love the car, but it took him awhile to get over the shock. That sucker was quick.

My dad drove a 68 Charger back when we were kids. It was dark green with black vinyl top and interior with a 383 2 bbl.

One time there was a strike at work and he wasn't part of it, because he was management. One Friday, he went to work during a strike. He got in his car and went to the exit to leave.

There was train tracks next to the plant, so dad would look for the train every day as he pulled out of the parking lot. If the train wasn't there, he would gun it and get across the tracks before a train could come.

So dad is at the exit about to turn out of the parking lot. One of the strikers sees him and goes to kick his car. Dad looked for the train, and it wasn't there, so he gunned it and sped across the tracks. By the time that the striker had pulled his foot back and then went to kick his car, it wasn't there, and he fell on his ***.....

Dad found out about this from the guy who was leaving behind him the next Monday at work. He told dad that he was laughing so hard, that his eyes were watering, and he had to wait 5 minutes before he could leave as he couldn't see from laughing so hard...

(We also have pictures from another strike where they had put nails in all 4 of his tires....)

Back in the day during the early 70's, we went to a NASCAR race at Michigan International Speedway. Richard Petty was racing in his Superbird. Dad loved the Superbirds and Daytonas, and called them "wing things"....

Back then the Plymouth advertising logo was, "Plymouth makes it". We were all rooting for Richard Petty, and he ended up blowing his engine and went out of the race. The guy sitting behind of us, obviously didn't like Mopars as when Richard Petty went out, he yells out, "Plymouth makes it"....

It ended up, that David Pearson, Richard Petty's partner won the race. After he won the race, my brother (about 4-5 years old at the time) turned around and looked the guy in the eye and said, "Plymouth makes it..."

He was sooo pissed off that a 4 year old just one upped him...

(the wing things took 1-2-3 that race)

I was Junior in high school and we lived on a farm 15 or so miles from town. I was driving my 65 Dart home on the highway and when I drove over the railroad tracks (doing about 60) I heard a loud crash and looked in my rearview mirror to see my gas tank skidding down the highway behind me. I floored the 273 to get out of it's way and it slid to the shoulder with the rubber fill tube pointing up! No fire....no foul. LOL I walked to the nearest house to call Dad and he came with a chain and the pick-up to pull me home. I made a new strap and wad back on the road on Monday. tmm

-
Back