Funny vibration

-

drewmac

Reaction score
I just pulled a 1967 Barracuda Formula S out of storage after 5 years. It has a vibration at around 80 mph. The funny thing is that it started hard at 50 mph on the first drive and has slowly worked its way up the speedometer the more I drive it. Could it be the clutch packs? Could they have gotten dry on one "side" and are no:wack:w getting wet with oil?

i had the same issue after i swapped a 360 into my 66 barracuda too i just dealt with it and i dont drive it that fast right now lol

Ha Ha. Do you think its the rear end? My 273 is stock, 4 speed has a new clutch, driveshaft is balanced. Not sure what to think. If it was the clutch or driveshaft the vibration would not move up the speedometer would it?

well mine is an auto so i was thinking th rear end or the drive shaft cause i swappd all of that too

Has nothing to do with clutch packs or rearend unless it vibrated before it was stored. Is it the original drivetrain or did you swap in a different engine or trans? If it's not original tell us what it's got, and I mean everything. It's pretty hard to guess without some background on what's what. Did it vibrate before it was stored? How was it stored? Sitting on all 4 tires or jacked up so the weight was off the tires? If it sat on all 4 tires for that long it's possible their out of round and are now junk. Especially if they were low on air when sitting. Some come out of it but others don't. By your saying the vibration changed in speed it sounds like tires. 1st thing I'd do is take it to a tire shop and have them put the tires on a spin balancer and spin them to see what happens. You might be surprised how far out of round they can get from setting. I let my car sit for 3 yrs. and both front tires went bad even though they only had 2000 miles on them. And they were full of air all the time.

Well, I'll be honest, I thought it may have been the wife's vibrator when reading the title of this thread, but, otherwise, I think Fishy nailed it good. Been there and done that too.

i had the same issue after i swapped a 360 into my 66 barracuda too i just dealt with it and i dont drive it that fast right now lol

Are you sure the balance issue was delt with on the converter?

Everything is original, rebuilt 273 commando, stock cam, crank, damper, pistons, etc.., 4-speed, 8.75 with posi 3:23s. Clutch is new. Tires are new but on wider than stock 14" rims. 4 wheel drums from factory. The fact that it has moved up farther up in speed the more I drive it hard is what is really throwing me.

Rumblefish- Love your sense of humor. :) Keep it up!

Ok. When you say the tires are new are you saying their brand new as of lately? Or are you saying they were new when the car was stored 5 yrs. ago? I also asked how you stored it. Sitting on the tires or on jack stands or something that kept them off the floor. I like to help when I can but I need complete answers.

Tires are brand new a year ago sat on this set for about a year with some rolling around the garage to move for space but no real driving. Car sat on both its tires and jacks stands for a minor amount of time for brake work about 9 months ago. I just jacked up the rear end and ran it through the gears and it does the same thing with no load on the drivetrain. The left rear tire DOES look a little out of round so I think I may have found my problem. I am going to switch front to back and see what happens. My brother also said he though it could be a bent axle so I wanted to mention that as well to see if anyone has had this happen.

It's tires.
Nothing else can get out of balance/round while parked.

Your brother's right that a bent axle will cause a vibration but how would it change with speed after you drive it like you said? I bet it's that left rear tire. Doesn't take much at all to make them vibrate. I couldn't even see a problem at all with the bad tire on my car although it was a front which I could only spin so fast by hand. When they spun it on the balancer it was obvious it was way out of round and it only sat for about a year too. You might check to see if it has a warranty on it.

-
Back