FURNACE FILTERS

-

Louie70Dart

Southern IL. Complete opposite of k-town
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I moved back to Kenosha, WI early December. Couldn't stay with my sister, mix up there. So where do I go? Tenants in my house commented on how they were behind on the rent, whole 'nother story there. Bear with me. Anyway, I commented I had to scramble to find a place to stay, and the empty bedroom was offered, I DID NOT ASK. What the heck, I took it. So, it being very cold, I am in the basement next to the furnace and can hear this thing going. Well, after the third day I get the idea of checking the filter. WOW, darn thing was plugged with dust...... I could swear furnace breathed a sigh of relief when I pulled filter while it was running. Major, and I mean MAJOR, difference! Rooms in basement are much warmer, and furnace is no where near working as hard. It's very discouraging that it seems that these people don't appear to care about the house, but they are only renting anyway. I start a new job Tuesday, and the lease is done February, so I only have to deal with it for two and a half months then I take house back, plus I am in the house to make sure they don't mess it up more. Thanks for staying until the end. But check filters, DON'T FORGET TO CHANGE!

Years ago, My brother rented out his house for about a year. The tenant never changed that filter. The new fan motor w/install cancelled out any profits from renting.

I have a very young couple renting the apartment above my Garage Shop. I finally had to present them with a letter, telling them that I would be entering the Apartment on the first Friday of each month to check the building mechanical s... They were not changing Filters and had the Smoke detector down, since the batteries died. And.... they have a 9 month old up there.. with no Smokes working...:BangHead::BangHead:
Oh.. Yeah.... And the Clothes Dryer vent hose was clogged as well !!!

Last edited:
when we bought our house, it had no filter in the furnace. had an inspection done and found out it would shut off on "high Limit"? the A-coil was PLUGGED with dog hair and dust rabbit colonies. Fortunately, there was a panel we could remove to take the coil out, enough line to swing it out and wash the thing out in the basement without discharging/taking it to the shop/recharging the AC. don't even ask what the rest of the ducting looked like! that was another "BONE-US".

I moved back to Kenosha, WI early December. Couldn't stay with my sister, mix up there. So where do I go? Tenants in my house commented on how they were behind on the rent, whole 'nother story there. Bear with me. Anyway, I commented I had to scramble to find a place to stay, and the empty bedroom was offered, I DID NOT ASK. What the heck, I took it. So, it being very cold, I am in the basement next to the furnace and can hear this thing going. Well, after the third day I get the idea of checking the filter. WOW, darn thing was plugged with dust...... I could swear furnace breathed a sigh of relief when I pulled filter while it was running. Major, and I mean MAJOR, difference! Rooms in basement are much warmer, and furnace is no where near working as hard. It's very discouraging that it seems that these people don't appear to care about the house, but they are only renting anyway. I start a new job Tuesday, and the lease is done February, so I only have to deal with it for two and a half months then I take house back, plus I am in the house to make sure they don't mess it up more. Thanks for staying until the end. But check filters, DON'T FORGET TO CHANGE!
Right on. I neglected my fuel oil furnace for 14 yrs. You know out of sight ,out of mind. Yeah 1300 bucks later....Yeah get a service agreement for yearly service. Learned My lesson the hard way

typical with renters.
I hate to think what would of happened if I had not been here to look at it. Most likely buying a new furnace, after this being less than ten years old.

-
Back