Fuseable Link...2... 1975 Scamp

-

Marlabuck

Reaction score
View attachment Fuseable Link 010.jpg

Had a short when replacing dash lights...
So...replaced the suspected first fuseable link and added an inline 50 amp fuse block to it...but still nothing...have head lights but no other power to the car...ignition will not turn etc...here is a photo of another fuseable link...can someone tell me the correct name of the white plastic connector and also where I am going wrong?...when I put the new Packard connector in I tested all the Packard paddles with an electrical tester and none of these paddles had power...Marla

Do you have a factory service manual? That way, you can see which one(s) is supposed to have power and at least be able to trace them and find the trouble. We should have that manual on the site as a free download.

When you say 'Packard paddles', what do you mean exactly? I assume you are testing from the back of the connections with them all plugged in?

Look on www.mymopar.com in the technical section and download your car's schematic. Then we can all talk from the same page...literally.

What car/year/model?

Hi Marla,

From the wiring diagrams on mymopar.com it looks like your 75 has two fusible links one for lighting circuits and the other big main link for everything else. You want to check and possibly replace the main link which is the one you have circled in your photo. This link is between the battery terminal on the starter relay and one of the bulk head connector pins.
This is where you want the 50 amp fuse. The lighting circuit one where you have the fuse now can go down to a 20 amp fuse.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

First off much love to Rusty...NM9 and you Pete...I did it...I read so many of the posts in this area of no power...fuseable links etc that I was even going thru them in my dreams...I thought and thought and something a member said in another post was always go back to what you did to try to correct the problem...and I did and what I discovered was that the quick connect I had put on when I went to a 50 amp fuse,well the wire was thicker than the connector Blades?...and was not making contact between the wires...so I removed the connector and touched the wires together and let me tell you guys the dash cluster lit up like a Christmas tree...all the lights work...the car starts and, well truthfully I started crying...so this problem is in the solved drawer and I did learn a lot from you guys and am a better person for going thru this ordeal...Marla

Maybe that is why we like to work on cars... when things straighten out, it is a real joy. Good for you.

Put some dielectric grease around the fuse holder contacts and inspect them now and then. The holders are the weak link and will fail you. Personally, I don't put them in place of fusible links. Properly made fusible links overall are more reliable in my experience.

-
Back