G-Tech Pro RR?

-

glockr

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right forum, but it is a question about a tool, so here goes...

Does anyone use the G-Tech Pro as a tuning aid? I know it's not perfect but the nearest drag strip is over an hour away and only runs a few months out of the year, chassis dynos are expensive, inconvenient, and the ones I've seen in my town seem kind of sketchy. I figure something like the G-Tech could at least get me in the ballpark before I spend money on a chassis dyno session.

So for those who have used one, does the G-Tech Pro or similar GPS-based 1/4 mile timers work OK for what they are? Is the G-Tech still available? There web site is up and I can put in an order, but it won't accept payment (even though they're listed as 'in stock'). Tried contacting the company but they didn't respond to contact form submission and no phone number is listed. If not the G-Tech, is there a similar tool that is currently available? Thanks.

I bought one about 10 years ago.

It's pretty cool.

They were hard to find even then.

Mine came from ebay, used.

Mine is the higher end of the two models- RR and SS, I forget which is which.

I haven't used it in a while, though.

The suction cup mount cracked, and it's a weird design. Irregular egg shape.

I was trying to figure out a way to make a better mount but it got put on the back burner.

I used something called the Dyno-Rad, which is the same idea except it gets it's speed reading from the driveshaft. Because I used it on the same car time after time, I would say that it worked excellently.
However, it has to be re-calibrated every time you change the rear gear or tire-size.
To get around that, I finally pulled the trigger on the SS. But when it finally arrived, my tuning was done and the rear gear settled on. So if you can't find one down there, I might sell you mine, new in the box, never used.
IMO an accelerometer is a great tuning tool.

I have seen lots of Dragy data laid against actual time slips and they are always really close. I have not used one myself though.

-
Back