Garage door opener problems!!!

-

forced 340

Reaction score
hey fella's... i resently installed a crafstman model # 41a4315-7d garage door opener. i got it used from a buddy of mine with missing parts (the sensors that go on the bottom of the door). it works great going up, but will not go down unless i hold the close button. im thinking its because i dont have the sensors hooked up???? it does it with or without the door attached to the opener. is there a way to bypass the sensors or fool the opener that there is nothing in the way? just thought id ask to see if anyone has had this problem and knows how to fix it. thanks!!

here is what it looks like.....

Attachments

• 00953920000.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 248
  • sears-craftsman-garage-door-opener-logic-board-41a4315-2c172.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 308
I shortened the wired, taped the sensors facing together and have the sensors taped on top of the motor

I shortened the wired, taped the sensors facing together and have the sensors taped on top of the motor

Why in HELL don't you just wire them up right? People have been killed, and cars severely damaged by garage doors.

If it won't go down by itself, then you may have to adjust the downforce. Look at the screws in your pics. One set is for up travel distance and down travel distance. The opther set controls the up and down force. Just add enough down force to close the door. Make sure if you give a gentle pull on the bottom of the door that it reverses direction.

Why in HELL don't you just wire them up right? People have been killed, and cars severely damaged by garage doors.
If I kill someone, I'll just throw them under the garage door, it was an accident officer, sorry...

I think you have to figure out which circuits the sensors go to and wire them in a closed circuit.

I second buying the sensors. If something accidentally happened the liability would be astronomical.And if theres anything in the way the door wont break or break whatever is obstructing it.

It is definitely because you have no sensors wired in. They complete the circuit. And I 3rd installing the sensors even if it costs you money (the opener was already free anyway). They are a safety item installed for a reason. I remember reading about a guy who's door was giving him problems and he wired past the sensors and his 3 year old walked under it when it was shutting. Killed him. Can you imagine what that guy felt like?

Come to think of it I had some of those sensors out in the garage at one time. I'll look tomorrow and let you know if I still have them.

It is definitely because you have no sensors wired in. They complete the circuit. And I 3rd installing the sensors even if it costs you money (the opener was already free anyway). They are a safety item installed for a reason. I remember reading about a guy who's door was giving him problems and he wired past the sensors and his 3 year old walked under it when it was shutting. Killed him. Can you imagine what that guy felt like?

Come to think of it I had some of those sensors out in the garage at one time. I'll look tomorrow and let you know if I still have them.

yeah im going to put sensors in for sure! i have a 3 year old boy thats attached to my hip and i would die if something like that happend to him. ive tried to hard wire or bypass the sensors with the same results. i think its programed into the circut board not to work without the sensors. thanks and let me know if you have a set floatting around:coffee2:

well problem solved... my dad found the set of sensors from his old opener witch is the same one i have so i will install them a hopefully that solves my problem! thanks for all the info fella's!

I found the ones I have and their from a Craftsman set so if the ones your dad found don't work let me know. Mine are brand new and have all the brackets. I had to replace the opener and since the old ones were working fine I didn't use these.

BTW: If I remember correct they are polarity sensitive. Meaning you have to have the wires hooked up a certain way.

I found the ones I have and their from a Craftsman set so if the ones your dad found don't work let me know. Mine are brand new and have all the brackets. I had to replace the opener and since the old ones were working fine I didn't use these.

BTW: If I remember correct they are polarity sensitive. Meaning you have to have the wires hooked up a certain way.

hey thanks a lot! i will let you know!

I don't know about the Craftsman openers, but I've got an older (25 or so years old) Genie on the smaller door for my shop, and a 10 or 15 year old Overhead Door opener on the larger door.

Both of them sense pressure/objects somehow. If it hits something, it opens back up. Had a customer let a dog out of a truck once and the damn thing tried to run under the garage door as it was closing. The door bumped into it and went back up. The dog was fine.

well i hooked the sensors up and the problem is solved! thanks for all the info guys!

-
Back