Garage Squad on Motor Trend TV

-
A program I would like to see involves the Hot Rod/Motor Trend folks. Set a total budget that is acceptable to the “Race of Lemons.”

Take Dulcich, Freiburg, Finnegan, Lucky, etc and divide into 3 teams. Each team has to find a car - not from their own stockpile or a gift from a friend/fan. Craigslist, local newspapers, wrecking yards, etc do vehicle source. Then prep it for a Race of Lemons or one of their rallies.

Show the cost (including the parts they have on hand) and work involved in car prepping the for the race, and show how they did. Sell the car after the race (end of the season), do it again the next season.

Seriously, who has the budget and parts just sitting on the shelf in their garage to buy a rust free A-Body, drop in a 500 HP engine, and then drop in a blower and a big Dominator carb and top of the line Mallory ignition they just happened to have sitting unused on the garage shelf. Include a pro built 9” rear, tub it, huge tires, etc.? Would be nice to know what that all cost - give people an idea what their dreams may cost them.

That’s why I like the Race of Lemons format. That would be more reality.

A program I would like to see involves the Hot Rod/Motor Trend folks. Set a total budget that is acceptable to the “Race of Lemons.”

Take Dulcich, Freiburg, Finnegan, Lucky, etc and divide into 3 teams. Each team has to find a car - not from their own stockpile or a gift from a friend/fan. Craigslist, local newspapers, wrecking yards, etc do vehicle source. Then prep it for a Race of Lemons or one of their rallies.

Show the cost (including the parts they have on hand) and work involved in car prepping the for the race, and show how they did. Sell the car after the race (end of the season), do it again the next season.

Seriously, who has the budget and parts just sitting on the shelf in their garage to buy a rust free A-Body, drop in a 500 HP engine, and then drop in a blower and a big Dominator carb and top of the line Mallory ignition they just happened to have sitting unused on the garage shelf. Include a pro built 9” rear, tub it, huge tires, etc.? Would be nice to know what that all cost - give people an idea what their dreams may cost them.

That’s why I like the Race of Lemons format. That would be more reality.
Sounds an awefull lot like a reboot of the British show "junkyard wars"

There was actually another one I remember watching where two teams were giving a budget to buy a car, and 3 days to build it, but I cant for the life of me remember what it was called

I had an idea for a show and sent it to a few people. Dennis Gage is the only one who responded and he said the idea needed more fake drama...
My guess is that WE are not the target audience for these shows.
WE know how to fix them, to modify them and how to race them.
These shows target the armchair enthusiast that may like cars but probably will never own a classic and likely wouldn't have the skills to restore one.
The average idiot seems to want the drama. The build up of tension leading into the commercial break keeps them engaged and tuned in.
Guys like us are the minority in this world.
Think I'm wrong?
How many gearheads are in your extended family?
I have exactly none. My brother-in-law likes Mopars but sold his Duster to me when he moved back east. Nobody in my extended family can rebuild an engine, paint a car, reskin a seat or even change their own oil.

^^^^Exactly. Building, restoring, or just anything requires work!!! too many fat lazy underworked overpaid "people" in this world today!???? Pass me another pizza!!

A guy in my shop complex is building a 24 hours of lemons car from a miata.

Apparently there are rules about what you can add and what you can take off.
Fairly strict. I want to say you can't spend more that $300 or something like that.
How they enforce that, I have no idea.

ROL cars have a $500 limit. You have to keep track of costs, but safety expenses do not count towards the $500. You can sell stuff off the car you won’t need to keep the costs down. If you hire mechanics, that is an expense.

Before the race, the cars are inspected for safety. If a car is challenged by the ROL over costs, the car is either disqualified or forfeited.

Their rallies are a bit different. Check ROL out online. All the rules, photos etc and race locations are there.

My guess is that WE are not the target audience for these shows.
WE know how to fix them, to modify them and how to race them.
These shows target the armchair enthusiast that may like cars but probably will never own a classic and likely wouldn't have the skills to restore one.
The average idiot seems to want the drama. The build up of tension leading into the commercial break keeps them engaged and tuned in.
Guys like us are the minority in this world.
Think I'm wrong?
How many gearheads are in your extended family?
I have exactly none. My brother-in-law likes Mopars but sold his Duster to me when he moved back east. Nobody in my extended family can rebuild an engine, paint a car, reskin a seat or even change their own oil.

In essence, that is what Gage told me, but the show I had in mind (still have a "pilot" episode that's so old it's still in 4:3 TV format...) is more like Gage's show than the build shows, which actually bore me. If I want to see builds I will search out things that interest me on You Tube...

-
Back