Gas cap dilemma

-

FlDart360

Reaction score
Could someone clarify for me the proper thing to do here I just want to replace my gas cap with a new one that won’t cause me any problems with fuel delivery. The car is a 1971 Dart Swinger originally a 6 cylinder car now has a 360. As you may have guessed the emission stuff is gone and all the nipples coming out of the original fuel tank are plugged off. This was all done by the previous owner who told me when I bought the car that the gas cap on the car was not correct he just did not get around to ordering the correct one. I thought the MF368 A-Body vented cap from classic Industries would be the ticket since all the emission venting is gone, but as it turned out that cap wasn’t even close. Is the filler neck different between cars? Do I need a special cap for a car that once had an emission canister? I figured the replacement cap would need some venting for everything to work correctly.

71 ECS (70 CA) caps are very hard to find and very expensive. I am selling one in the for sale section (with a filler neck and vent canister)
[FOR SALE] - '71 ECS ('70 CA) Gas cap, filler neck, vapor canister

Your best bet is to get a 72+ filler neck and replace the old one if you're up to the task. That can spiral though (need to paint the new cap, new filler neck to body gasket, possibly replace the tank grommet, etc). 72+ caps can be had anywhere and new ones with primer ready for paint aren't too expensive and can be found on ebay

I just did this swap recently. I went with a 75-76 filler neck which takes the same cap as 72-74 but it's the unleaded style. It provides the best anti-splashback benefits.

71 is a tough year cap to find. As mentioned changing the filler neck would be a less expensive option.

Gas Caps 71 A-Body 003.jpg

71 ECS (70 CA) caps are very hard to find and very expensive. I am selling one in the for sale section (with a filler neck and vent canister)
[FOR SALE] - '71 ECS ('70 CA) Gas cap, filler neck, vapor canister

Your best bet is to get a 72+ filler neck and replace the old one if you're up to the task. That can spiral though (need to paint the new cap, new filler neck to body gasket, possibly replace the tank grommet, etc). 72+ caps can be had anywhere and new ones with primer ready for paint aren't too expensive and can be found on ebay

I just did this swap recently. I went with a 75-76 filler neck which takes the same cap as 72-74 but it's the unleaded style. It provides the best anti-splashback benefits.
If the OP wants to go this route, I have a real nice filler neck and cap that I'd make him a great deal on

Thanks to all who responded I understand now what I am up against. This sounds like a project to tackle when I replace my tank which is on my list. I was hoping there was a cheap $20 cap that would give me an interim fix until then but that might not be possible.

Thanks to all who responded I understand now what I am up against. This sounds like a project to tackle when I replace my tank which is on my list. I was hoping there was a cheap $20 cap that would give me an interim fix until then but that might not be possible.
When you replace the tank do yourself a favor and get the 72+ model. It has a single vent line in the front of the tank. You can remove the vapor canister from the trunk as it's no longer needed.
Spectra CR11E

When you replace the tank do yourself a favor and get the 72+ model. It has a single vent line in the front of the tank. You can remove the vapor canister from the trunk as it's no longer needed.
Spectra CR11E
Spectra CR11E

I like that idea it cleans things up and keeps it simple. Thank you

Jeff

The original gas cap from '71 Dart GT was long gone before I got the car. The previous owner put a chrome '72 & up gas cap on it. It was "clocked" at an odd angle and was not flush. I gave up on the idea of locating a painted '71 gas cap and went with a '69 Charger flip top (with the adapter from FABO member (search for him)).

Another option would be to buy a used gas fill tube/neck from a '72 & up Dart/Scamp and replace yours. Here is link to one for sale currently:

[FOR SALE] - Filler neck Dart/Scamp

Good luck!

if it were me, and i was going to install a new filler tube, i would grab one from a space duster
they follow the floor of the trunk and then kick up, leaving for much more usable trunk space then the regular ones

There is a member on here that sells an adaptor so you can use the flip top gas cap. I have made this change to several A bodies, and I like it. Just did this for a 79 Volare. Got a great used cap off feebay $23 shipped. New ones are $80.

Post #4 is right, they changed the friggin cap darn near every year. Go figure

The original gas cap from '71 Dart GT was long gone before I got the car. The previous owner put a chrome '72 & up gas cap on it. It was "clocked" at an odd angle and was not flush. I gave up on the idea of locating a painted '71 gas cap and went with a '69 Charger flip top (with the adapter from FABO member (search for him)).

Another option would be to buy a used gas fill tube/neck from a '72 & up Dart/Scamp and replace yours. Here is link to one for sale currently:

[FOR SALE] - Filler neck Dart/Scamp

Good luck!
Could you upload a picture of the flip top on you car i'm thinking that probably looks pretty good i might want to go that route.

-
Back