Gas cap help!

-

cb66valiant

Reaction score
I am currently restoring my '66 Valiant and need help with my gas cap. I know, sounds stupid. But here is my problem. The gas cap on my car leaks when I go to the track, or when I get on it and the car goes sideways. The gasket is pliable but when you turn it, it just doesn't feel tight. So, before I paint this thing, I would like to rectify this situation before I regret it later. Now, I ordered a new chrome cap off Ebay, it said it was for my car, but when it arrived it did not fit. I did fortunatly received my money back in full. Very good seller, aside from it being wrong. Anyway, does anybody know of a cap that will fit? or something I could do to my cap to make it tighter?

Thanks
cb66

Thanks for the ideas. My last thought was just put another gasket on my cap. But if that doesn't work. I will get at you Steve.

Later
cb66

Not the cap that's the problem, it's the filler tube. Your filler tube should have a baffel. Keeps the fuel from sloshing out. big problem when road racing an early A body. I belive they started putting baffels in them in 66 so the later A bodies didn't have that problem. I think I saw Laysons carried a modified filler tube but I would think one could be fab'd.

IIRC, the modified tube from Laysons has a sort of washer thing welded inside part way down & includes a plug that fits in it so fuel can't slosh up to the cap.

if your filler is the same as a 64 dart go to autozone get a 6725 gas cap (i think) cap is small(appearancewise) but it fits great and seals

Not the cap that's the problem, it's the filler tube. Your filler tube should have a baffel. Keeps the fuel from sloshing out. big problem when road racing an early A body. I belive they started putting baffels in them in 66 so the later A bodies didn't have that problem. I think I saw Laysons carried a modified filler tube but I would think one could be fab'd.

Can you provide a tiny bit more detail, about fabrication? Diagrams, maybe? What's it look like? How does it prevent fuel from leaving without preventing fuel from flowing in? (A flap that swivels?)

My little slant six has never produced enough G forces for me to notice any fuel spillage. But the Mustang wagon, there's a different story. {grin} I doubt the manufacturer ever considered such a need, originally.

- Erik

64 Valiant, 170 3-spd
82 Volvo wagon, 5.0 5-spd :)

-
Back