Gas cap leaks in 67 Barracuda

-

loganscuda

This/These
Reaction score
Does the flip top cap seal the neck or is a cap supposed to go inside. If it is just the cap how do I repair it to seal the neck. When I corner hard gas runs out of the flip cap. What cap will fit inside. I tried several at the local parts house. None would let the cap close.

The flip top is supposed to seal. There was a factory locking gas cap option that did fit inside, but nothing else will. It sounds like you need a new rubber gasket. But I have never heard of this problem -- how high is the fuel level in your tank when this happens? I mean, the filler neck is like 2 feet long -- it is splashing all the way up the neck??

I butchered a dart cap. Almost need a pair of pliers to remove it. Then you gotta butcher the barracuda cap. It aint pretty.

I butchered a dart cap. Almost need a pair of pliers to remove it. Then you gotta butcher the barracuda cap. It aint pretty.
those things weren`t engineered very good to start with, I bought a new 68 form S fast back in 68, I always had fuel splashing problems w/ it , especially when filling it ..

those things weren`t engineered very good to start with, I bought a new 68 form S fast back in 68, I always had fuel splashing problems w/ it , especially when filling it . I have an extra vent on this one, seems to help.

I've never had this problem ( two 67 notch backs over about 35 years ). I suppose these doors do wear out like everything else. Or is this a fault in reproduction caps? That wouldn't surprise me.

Does the flip top cap seal the neck or is a cap supposed to go inside. If it is just the cap how do I repair it to seal the neck. When I corner hard gas runs out of the flip cap. What cap will fit inside. I tried several at the local parts house. None would let the cap close.

I had the same issue with my '68, but the rubber seal still looked good.

I was able to solve the problem by tightly winding dental floss behind the rubber gasket. This pushed the gasket forward and stopped the spillage on right turns. Don't get too carried away though as about 20 wraps did the trick for mine. I then tucked the loose end in behind the gasket, and it has stayed for 12+ years doing it's job.

I still spill fuel every time I fill up though. Unless the nozzle does not have the vapor capture seal.

-
Back