Gas cap wont come off

-
If there was pressure, all you'd have to do is disconnect a fuel line.

I'd remove the filler tube and get it on the bench to see what's really going on. Don't have to deal with possibly contaminating the tank that way too.

Although after looking at that picture, it seems as if it's some sort of non mopar filler tube that is welded on?

He has the key, and it turns, but the cap won't come off. Bottom line, he'll have to destroy the cap. Hopefully he won't damage anything else.

Get rid of locking caps... no one steals gas anymore. Besides we dont generally leave our old mopars sitting out on dark streets like we did back in the 70s

The cap may be wrong altogether for the filler neck he has. Did the OP install it to begin with or was it installed by whomever did the work on the car. He has been asked for more pics at least ten times. Post pics from inside the trunk. Kinda looks like the adaptor bolts in from the inside. Like trucks have. Kim

Last edited:
All... Post #1 and Post #3 the OP states "the key turns"

The issue is the key is not retracting the pins that lock the cap on.

Why is the million dollar question?

ooh, i know

its a piece of crap chinesium ?

I agree with what you wrote...............but if the Op is determined to put a hole in the tank I wanted to give him the safest way. Neither you or i know what he will do in the end???

when someone wants to jump off a bridge, usually someone talks them down, not push them over the edge

Looks like you caused your own issues when you installed the custom door. All that work you should have used one with an inside release so yo wouldn't need a locking cap.

Last edited:
Looks like you caused your own issues when you installed the custom door. All that work you should have used one with an inside release so yo wouldn't need a locking cap.
You **** your own pants you clean your *** off yourself.
Gas door looks great. The old gas cap was lost, hence this bad cap i installed. Obvious you had no solution, so you gave 2 cents of worthless crap from your own shitty pants.

Last edited:
Sorry I havent gotten back. I had minor surgery few days ago and left the cap projecr alone. The keyed cap was purchased because I lost the old one.

The temperature in the garage was warmer today and I noticed the cap felt more pliable. Took some channel locks and twisted countwr clockwise while turning key clockwise. Came off slowly but surely. Found another cap at Autozone for 9 bucks that was shallow enough for door to close and walla, back in business.

Also, i never said I was drilling a hole in the tank nor did anyone suggest so. I meant a pilot hole on the cap itself.

Thanks to everyone with the helpful solutions.

20220108_124839.jpg

20220108_134140.jpg

20220108_134145.jpg

Last edited:
Glad you got the cap off.

Unlike some, I like the door.

Would you make a post about your gas cap cover. I really like the look.
  1. what door did you use?
  2. Did you use quarter skin on the cover?
  3. What internals / inlet did you use?
  4. Did you splice the stock filler to the donor filler with door?
  5. Is the pin in some of the photos a retractable pin for locking the door?

Looks loke you successfully pried it off. I am just curious as to why you installed a custom gas neck (or whatever they are called) in your car.

I bought it that way. Last owner doesnt know who put it there either. He said the guy he bought it from made it and painted the car. The stripes are also painted. He did a wonderful job. I had to have it. The pin holds the door shut. Here's couple pics unloading it.

VideoCapture_20220108-231457.jpg

VideoCapture_20220108-231237.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry I havent gotten back. I had minor surgery few days ago and left the cap projecr alone. The keyed cap was purchased because I lost the old one.

The temperature in the garage was warmer today and I noticed the cap felt more pliable. Took some channel locks and twisted countwr clockwise while turning key clockwise. Came off slowly but surely. Found another cap at Autozone for 9 bucks that was shallow enough for door to close and walla, back in business.

Also, i never said I was drilling a hole in the tank nor did anyone suggest so. I meant a pilot hole on the cap itself.

Thanks to everyone with the helpful solutions.

View attachment 1715849788

View attachment 1715849789

View attachment 1715849790
Hell yeah, Steve! Way to go buddy! Glad you got it off. How you healin up? Well I hope. Get well soon man.

I think the door is cool as hell. Looks totally factory. They shouldda come that way.

I recently got the car back (71 Demon) from repair. Drove it about 15 miles days ago and today the gas cap wont turn and feels locked under pressure. Ots a cap with key. Key turns but cap is on tight. Tried channel locks but cap is shaped too roundly for grip and at an angle. Any advice?
Is it a new cap? If so it could be incorrect for your application and the locking tangs are not releasing far enough when you turn the key....????

-
Back