gas cap

-
Weird....I just chkd my parts cd and it references it under fuel (section 14) with reference # 14-86-35 but I cant find it.....sorry I tried

CHRYSLER VEHICLES BUILT BEFORE APRIL 1971... according to this eBay seller. Details on how to tell them apart included in auction.

$(KGrHqUOKn!E5-))yB)JBOudg00DjQ~~60_12.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/71-DODGE-PL...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item5646fddfb7

I was told 71 is a 1 yr. only cap ?
I am looking for a stock cap, paintable,
not chrome.
I'm not sure when my car was built.
Thanks for looking guys.
Didn't think it was going to be so hard to
find.

Not sure on this, but didn't the 71 that needed the special cap have a second vapor expansion tube along the wheelwell?

Grant

My car is a cali. emissions car.
The gas tank has like 4 tubes coming out the side
and a big vent tube inside the trunk.
If that helps any ?

I am also in the same situation: 71 Pre-April gas cap, that will fit an 1 3/8" filler neck and the gap between the gasket and filler neck is 1/4" or less.
I'm not sure about being a Cali emissions car, but I also have the big vent tube in the trunk with the 4 lines in it. I can't find the cap anywhere..
Seems everything on line is for post April 71? Help!! I left mine at a station pump, went back an hour later.. GONE!

Late '71 used the 72-74 cap. California emissions '70's used the '71 cap shown here, and the '71 cap in the picture is the early '71 cap. If that's the one you need, that's a bummer. Because they cost a fortune. I switched my '71 Dart to a later filler tube. Way cheaper to buy the later filler AND the cap than just the '71 cap. If you can find one.

Abody Gas Caps 67-70,70 Cal and 71,72-74,75-76.jpg

Late '71 used the 72-74 cap. California emissions '70's used the '71 cap shown here, and the '71 cap in the picture is the early '71 cap. If that's the one you need, that's a bummer. Because they cost a fortune. I switched my '71 Dart to a later filler tube. Way cheaper to buy the later filler AND the cap than just the '71 cap. If you can find one.

View attachment 1715100133
Yep, the 71 cap is the correct one for my duster. Also, the article that slantsixdan posted describes the 4 tube ECS that I have. Which later filler tube did you revert to?

Thanks.

I like the '75-'76 Unleaded filler tubes; they're much better at not puking gasoline on the paint once the tank's full. Minor adaptation required.

Found one on eBay. Used, gold color, but fits perfectly. Gonna use it as a template to modify the chrome one I got from Classic so I will have a backup!
BTW, cost $120 ouch.. Now I gotta paint B5 and install a GPS tracker on it.

71 Duster gas cap copper 1 small.jpg

71 Duster gas cap 2 small.jpg

Last edited:
Found one on eBay. Used, gold color, but fits perfectly. Gonna use it as a template to modify the chrome one I got from Classic so I will have a backup!
BTW, cost $120 ouch.. Now I gotta paint B5 and install a GPS tracker on it.

View attachment 1715102011

View attachment 1715102012

Ouch!!!

Yeah it’s usually much cheaper to buy a later filler tube and cap.

GPS tracker is a good idea, I wonder if one of those deals for you car keys, etc could be adapted. Or maybe just put it on a cable.

The one I have is a ‘74, I parted a ‘74 swinger so it’s just what I had.

Ouch!!!

Yeah it’s usually much cheaper to buy a later filler tube and cap.

GPS tracker is a good idea, I wonder if one of those deals for you car keys, etc could be adapted. Or maybe just put it on a cable.

The one I have is a ‘74, I parted a ‘74 swinger so it’s just what I had.
Actually, I took the cap that I bought, measured the 'guts' and modified a 67-71 A-Body chrome fuel cap I got from Classic, part # MA8174, using a dremel, and if fits the duster perfectly! I am going to modify a couple more (1 chrome, 1 primered) and document it and put it here on the forum.

The only thing is the chrome cap doesn't have the 'pressure relief valve', it's just a plain cap. It does have the rubber seal which should suffice a vapor barrier.

I like the '75-'76 Unleaded filler tubes; they're much better at not puking gasoline on the paint once the tank's full. Minor adaptation required.
I just completed this swap this week, along with a new gas tank, and I'm very glad I did!

The only thing is the chrome cap doesn't have the 'pressure relief valve', it's just a plain cap.

That's not going to do. You need a pressure-vacuum cap.

It does have the rubber seal which should suffice a vapor barrier.

The rubber seal is to prevent liquid gasoline sloshing out (and water drizzling in). It does not substitute for the controlled in-and-out venting provided by a pressure-vacuum cap.

Read up on it here.

Last edited:

What's the difference between 72-74 and 75-76 caps? I had no idea there was a difference. Aftermarket parts sources the same cap for 72-76.

-
Back