Gas concern welding floor pans

-
Everyone can do it how they like and I don't condone this to anybody but I've put front floor pans in my Valiant with the gas tank in I put lower quarters on the Valiant with the gas tank in I patch welded the trunk floor at the seam where the windshield leaked and rusted through ...with the tank in. You probably need a couple things going on... like fuel Vapors... so your tank needs a leak or lines must leak in or around the sender for that... non ventilated work space to act as a vapor ballon... maybe ground to the tank and itself...or you need to use a torch so you can burn a hole through the floor and through the gas tank to achieve blowing yourself up. Good luck! Lol
Thanks for the advice, I’m probably going to end up replacing the tank too. It looks rough.

The car is an electrical box.
So if you fuel senders low voltage pulse shorts a spark is the tank gonna pop and send ya to the moon.
Better safe then sorry though.. so put on a motorcycle hemmut w/shield, some dish gloves, no shirt w/ op shorts 'so you're less flamable' ..some ear plugs..crack a beer and go for it. Make sure to have some Kenny loggins jamming 'the heat is on'.. film it. If you live, you'll be rich... if you die , well..you'll be famous. Lmao
Lol I got a great visual from this.

Yea I got under the car today and it seems I could use a new filler tube gasket at the very least

540C0CCB-C11F-4FB6-9E50-1A668FB84A7B.jpeg

C9B321BF-613A-4E04-8D39-F22F86213204.jpeg

IMPO if you can smell gas,it’s capable of blowing.Pull it!
I drained about 10 gallons out until I couldn’t get anymore with my jiggler today. I don’t smell gas anymore. I will definitely be pulling it and going over the lines. While out I’m also going to treat the rust in the area.+ That filler gasket was barely in there.

For gasoline to explode or even burn, the gas mixture has to between lower and upper flammability ratios, too rich or too lean and nothing will happen. Sometimes a full tank of gas is actually safer than an empty, almost empty one.

For gasoline to explode or even burn, the gas mixture has to between lower and upper flammability ratios, too rich or too lean and nothing will happen. Sometimes a full tank of gas is actually safer than an empty, almost empty one.
Yea. With around 10 gallons that should mean it was half full. Everything I read said the tank should have had a 20 gal capacity. Either way though I’m going to remove it and the carb before I do any further hot work.

I must say I have welded on my car with gas in the tank and didn't really think much of it. I do know for a fact that my tank is in excellent shape with no leaks and a tight fitting gas cap.

-
Back