Gas consumption

-

3404speed

Ancient Decrepit Member
Reaction score
WE as a country really do need to reduce consumption of all power, and I'm not trying to be political here.

Just common sense.

Change over to compact florescent light bulbs. Insulate your house if you own one. Live with a bit cooler temps in the winter and a bit warmer in the summer.
Drive less(so I can afford premium fuel for my Dart).

The list can go on, but there are forums out there for all this.

One thing I have tested in my gas is adding 2.5-3 ounces of Acetone to each 10 gallons of gas, and it improved my mileage on a 95 Chrysler 3.0 v6 Lebaron vert from 23.5 to 25.5 mpg.

Ok, let's see what this stirs up!
Enjoy
John

I totally agree with you 3404Speed. Many things we can do but dont.

Few things I am doing when I go to tech school just so me and my best friend can build our gas guzzler hot rods is plant a garden, walk and ride the bike to work and school, and some other things. Hell, my mother at one time had 3 gardens and freezer full of meat and a cellar full or canned veggies. Thank god for living in the country.

There is one big problem with florescent bulbs, mercury. This makes them hazardous to just throw in the trash. They are supposed to be put in a special container and recycled. We have not seen it yet and even though most environmentalist suggest using florescents their next thing will be the florescent bulbs themselves because of the disposal problem in the land fills. We are saving one part of our world by polluting another which is not a good trade off. I myself have been buying florescent bulbs mainly to reduce my power bills but beware the next thing they go after will be these bulbs.

Chuck

what i am interested in is the full cost of making and back to original eliments do compact florescents really save the enviroment as they are being touted as. i do use them and try to recycle them as well as regular light bulbs, and most of the other product that we can.

here is a question for all of you does any body know of a bear proof compost bin or system? now that we have ower own house we would like to have a garden and use the composted kitchen scraps. but the bears will get in it and i don't think that our new neighboures would be all that impressed with use for that.

as for the acetone i'm not sure but if it will dry out the rubber what about using methal alcohol?

340mopar said:
There is one big problem with florescent bulbs, mercury. This makes them hazardous to just throw in the trash. They are supposed to be put in a special container and recycled. We have not seen it yet and even though most environmentalist suggest using florescents their next thing will be the florescent bulbs themselves because of the disposal problem in the land fills. We are saving one part of our world by polluting another which is not a good trade off. I myself have been buying florescent bulbs mainly to reduce my power bills but beware the next thing they go after will be these bulbs.

Chuck

Chuck, you're absolutely right about the mercury, there 1 drop of it in every bulb and tube out there. Our butt head government has anounced that it intends to outlaw incandesent light bulbs over the next 5-10 years and switch everyone over to florescent. Personally I think it's a good idea cuss for instance a 10 watt flouresent gives off the same light as a 60 watt incandesent, or there abouts, but what about the mercury in each bulb. There was no mention what so ever of instituting a recycle program and I'd guess that most of the people out there don't even know about the mercury hazard, "oh my god we're all going to die". BTW I use the new flourecents all over my house they're more expensive but last a lot longer.

Terry

demon seed said:
Chuck, you're absolutely right about the mercury, there 1 drop of it in every bulb and tube out there. Our butt head government has anounced that it intends to outlaw incandesent light bulbs over the next 5-10 years and switch everyone over to florescent. Personally I think it's a good idea cuss for instance a 10 watt flouresent gives off the same light as a 60 watt incandesent, or there abouts, but what about the mercury in each bulb. There was no mention what so ever of instituting a recycle program and I'd guess that most of the people out there don't even know about the mercury hazard, "oh my god we're all going to die". BTW I use the new flourecents all over my house they're more expensive but last a lot longer.

Terry

People always say this but every time I have tried compact flourescent bulbs (even of the same wattage) they seem like candles compared to the incandescents.

2shelbys, there are different types of light output in florescents now. There is one that is a "daylight" type and I will tell you it makes a great porch light but is way to white/bright for inside the house.

Chuck

2shelbys said:
People always say this but every time I have tried compact flourescent bulbs (even of the same wattage) they seem like candles compared to the incandescents.

Hey Shelby, you got to experiment a little, like I found that a 13 watt flourisent is dam near identical to a 40 watt incadecent in light output.

Terry

3404speed said:
WE as a country really do need to reduce consumption of all power, and I'm not trying to be political here.

Just common sense.

Change over to compact florescent light bulbs. Insulate your house if you own one. Live with a bit cooler temps in the winter and a bit warmer in the summer.
Drive less(so I can afford premium fuel for my Dart).

The list can go on, but there are forums out there for all this.

One thing I have tested in my gas is adding 2.5-3 ounces of Acetone to each 10 gallons of gas, and it improved my mileage on a 95 Chrysler 3.0 v6 Lebaron vert from 23.5 to 25.5 mpg.

Ok, let's see what this stirs up!
Enjoy
John

Yeah you are right.

But the problem is that WE Americans are far to dependent on oil and gas. We have to have the big SUVs and trucks or we are not comfortable. Most of us that is. The majority of my friends and neighbors have a SUVs or a truck with V8 as the power plant. I was noticing how many SUVs and trucks went by the other day when I was at work and was near a busy intersection. I have a Dodge Ram with a 360 and a 67 Barracuda with a 273 but I will not stop driving them because of gas. I have to feel the power and show off my big truck and my nice cuda. LOL! There might come a time that the SUV rage will die down and folks will start going to mini-vans, luxury sport cars, and four bangers of any kind and the impending gas prices might drop. But it is most likely as everything else the prices seem to keep going up and up.

anyone hear about a lady that dropped and broke one of those bulbs in her house? ended up paying over $2000 for hazmat cleanup! plus had to deal with 5 differet govt agencies. you can have the damn things. i personally dont like the light they put out and i really dont care about conserving energy. if i can afford the power bill, so what?

btw, if i find the link ill post it here.

Had to drive up to The Paddock in Knightstown, Indiana a couple
of days ago. I decided to drive one of my 1988 Daytona Shelby Z's.

I drove 55 in the 55 zones and 65 in the 70 zones. I kept the boost on the
turbo less than 2 p.s.i. when taking off. For the round trip of
145 miles I got 37.8 m.p.g. according to the on board computer.

Although it's difficult sometimes to keep your foot out of it, it does
have it's rewards.

here's a link to a web page that has a lot of info about acetone.
http://www.lubedev.com/articles/

I read all of it plus a bunch more, and some more on this forum. I have not read this forum for a while but I'm sure there is good and bad info in it, just like many forums.
http://fueleconomytips.com/

Recycling of hazardous chemicals is important, like batteries and flourescent bulbs and paper, and lead, the list goes on. USA is a consumption based society now and it will take a long time to overcome this.

What are the priorities?

How do we overcome ignorance and indifference?

Yep really deep questions, and they might not belong here, but here we are, at the beginning of the next day in our lives.

Flame me if you feel it necessary I can take it, and go out to my garage(cave) to get away.

1.jpg

sweatybetty said:
anyone hear about a lady that dropped and broke one of those bulbs in her house? ended up paying over $2000 for hazmat cleanup! plus had to deal with 5 differet govt agencies. you can have the damn things. i personally dont like the light they put out and i really dont care about conserving energy. if i can afford the power bill, so what?

found it for you at Snopes

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/cfl.asp

Read carefully so you can fully understand.

Additionally, LED bulbs are another alternative, but much pricier right now.
Ever look into the lens of a 10 LED flashlight?

sweatybetty said:

heres the link

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=55213

Not to be a poop, but did anyone ever think about what the government and big business is doing to address this problem? I work for a big company ( a factory) and their stance on this is whatever makes them look good, that's o.k. but recycling to them and power usage is not paramount, they take the easy way out and recycle only what they are forced to and we fill a huge dumpster twice a day with at least 50 percent recyclables on their way to the landfill, on top of that, they could get money back from this stuff, but they go the easy route... I recycle a lot and believe in it a lot, but big business should be targeted before the little guy like you and me should be made to feel guilty about our relatively SMALL , though important contribution to this problem! I encourage you all to open your eyes to the real problem, which is big business and the government allowing allowing it to happen, yet, blaming and making the small guy feel bad about the environmental problems as if it's all our fault. Don't let the GUILTMONGERS ruin your life and your love for cars by taking sole blame for everything that is wrong with the environment. By the way, I think that man made global warming is a hoax, brought on by people that are oversensitive or have a financial motive, if anything, it's a natural occurance in the earth' s evolution and has very little to do with you! Relax, and let's do our best to help, but let's use some good old logic for a change!!!

Dartnut said:
Not to be a poop, but did anyone ever think about what the government and big business is doing to address this problem? I work for a big company ( a factory) and their stance on this is whatever makes them look good, that's o.k. but recycling to them and power usage is not paramount, they take the easy way out and recycle only what they are forced to and we fill a huge dumpster twice a day with at least 50 percent recyclables on their way to the landfill, on top of that, they could get money back from this stuff, but they go the easy route... I recycle a lot and believe in it a lot, but big business should be targeted before the little guy like you and me should be made to feel guilty about our relatively SMALL , though important contribution to this problem! I encourage you all to open your eyes to the real problem, which is big business and the government allowing allowing it to happen, yet, blaming and making the small guy feel bad about the environmental problems as if it's all our fault. Don't let the GUILTMONGERS ruin your life and your love for cars by taking sole blame for everything that is wrong with the environment. By the way, I think that man made global warming is a hoax, brought on by people that are oversensitive or have a financial motive, if anything, it's a natural occurance in the earth' s evolution and has very little to do with you! Relax, and let's do our best to help, but let's use some good old logic for a change!!!

the BIGGEST problem, in the USA anyhow is the govt. this country got great because of the people, not the govt. the bigger govt gets, the more they control, the more restrictions, the smaller the people get. this country is going to sh@t and its going fast. my personal feeling is we need another civil war to get the elected officials to start listening and using common sense again. not listening to the the big $$$$. maybe get rid of them all and start over.

Sweatybetty a civil war is the people against the people, I think you meant revolution, that is when the people fight the government.

Chuck

Custom 100, check out Mother earth catalog, should be a composter in there that should be bear resistant.

Im actually impressed. Im starting to hear more and more gear heads actually talk about helping clean up the planet. Wether global warming is partly humanities fault or not, i think its cool more and more people are thinking of ways to save energy and clean up the planet. Who saves ya cant love hot rods and care about the world?

Al G is one of the many hippocrates to the system.... govt. vs. the common person. I'm not just quoting mcg. and their views last month, I'm going with what I've personally dealt with over the years,no more,no less. We are all not sheep that do not pay attention to the hypocracy that goes on in north america about this subject. Remember, we pay taxes and vote these jokers in! So I say to vote these losers out and things will change! I wanna be the first to tub and cage a Prius and put a hemi in it! Remember, driving old mopars is recycling!!! ( with taste )

RANT STARTS HERE :lol:

The above will never happen except for regulations, Period!

My town just got rated the highest income in the state! 35 years ago it was a "hick town", there were no traffic lights & were still a lot of dirt roads. The new houses going up here piss away more natural resourses & energy than you could imagine, to construct them AND run them. In our modern world, most people want to live like bigshots. These people CAN afford gas at $3, $4, $10 or more. They won't turn down the thermostat, or won't try to conserve anything just to be patriotic or energy conscious. Drive by these houses on "trash pick-up day", and see 3 or 4 barrels of trash.....drive by one of the older smaller homes and see just one. It's all about "lifestyle".

Do you recall decades ago when PBS This Old House first came out?...They fixed up "normal" houses and showed ME how to build my own cabinets. The point of the show was to help starter families get a head start on home ownership. Now everything is factory made and the mansions they redo are sickening....Like that monstrosity they redid for profit in Carlisle Mass. All that they showed how to do is "write a big check" You would need a golf cart to get from one end to the other.....or how about the single guy professor with the big modernistic house....they added even more square footage....FOR ONE F'ing PERSON. One other home showed a $8000 bill for JUST THE LIGHTING FIXTURES & "MOOD" CONTROLS .....for JUST THE F"ING KITCHEN!!!!!!

Or how about the quicker change to overbuilding on "Extreme home makover"... The last one made me sick. A humongous monster house on a street with tiny ranch style homes....and then Ford donates a F-350 dually pickup, a Mustang convert, AND a Explorer or Expedition !!!!! 3 freaking vehicles. That show pisses me off, they want you to think they are out there helping needy families and making a difference in our world......they could build a least 3 to 4 new "normal" starter homes for the same $ and help 3-4 deserving families.......but "normal" just doesn't have the glitz.....To top it off, the head bozo that runs the builds just got nailed for driving under the influence of alcohol AND drugs.

IMO, current influences are teaching our kids to be even bigger energy and convience pigs. :sad:

I hate to say it but....a line from the movie "Close encounters of the 3rd kind", when the power grid was starting to black out, street by street............and the power plant manager says: "Let the whole thing go down...We will pick up the pieces later"

340mopar said:
Sweatybetty a civil war is the people against the people, I think you meant revolution, that is when the people fight the government.

Chuck

i stand corrected

-
Back