Gas filler and modern pumps

-

64DartGTinAZ

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Anybody got any tricks for gassing up the early A's with today's pumps?
It's a pain in the but with the vapor recovery stuff here in AZ.

Anybody go Kustom and put a fill pipe/door from a newer car to get a more pump-friendly angle of approach?

Anybody got any tricks for gassing up the early A's with today's pumps?
It's a pain in the but with the vapor recovery stuff here in AZ.

Anybody go Kustom and put a fill pipe/door from a newer car to get a more pump-friendly angle of approach?
I did a thing called a Gas sentry. heard about it from SSDAN and ordered the part(smallest one) and installed it. I haven't had the car running but a friends 65 has got it in his also and he never has problems now. I sort of looks like a unleaded flap in the newer cars.

I did a thing called a Gas sentry. heard about it from SSDAN and ordered the part(smallest one) and installed it.

Like this?

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Tank-Sentry-Resizer-2-090-278/dp/B0030UKLLU"]Tank Sentry (Resizer) 2.00" to 2.090" #278 : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

Tank Sentry and Gas Sentry are both pretty tough search terms on google...everything's about industrial stuff...

Stick the nozzle in as you would normally, the rotate it clockwise 90 degrees to nine or ten o'clock. Works on my 65 every time. Hope it works on yours

humm....thanks guys ill have to remember this....luckily i havent had this problem on my 66....yet....

Like this?

Tank Sentry (Resizer) 2.00" to 2.090" #278 : Amazon.com : Automotive

Tank Sentry and Gas Sentry are both pretty tough search terms on google...everything's about industrial stuff...

yep that the style and it might be the exact one but you have to nake sure it's the smallest one they sell but you want to go to their site and get the smallest one. yeah I know about the search problem it took me a while to even find it and I forgot to bookmark it.

See attachment for a method to install in a 65 Dart or similiar....note gas filler tube diameter.

Attachments

• InstallingFuelTubeSpillageEliminatorIn65Dart.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 452
I just tried the 90 degree turn suggestion yesterday on my 66. It worked perfect!

I purchased one of these last night for my wagon from Pollution Control Auto Parts. Today my wife got a call from American Express asking about a purchase for $700. I guess my card number got hijacked after I used to buy that part. I wonder how this happens? Was their site not secure enough? American Express took care of the charge so I'm ok. I normally use this card for my Costco gas purchases and Costco instore purchases. Jayson

Sorry about your credit card.....didn't happen to me....& I bought twice at different times for different cars using a credit card.

Although the discussion has been about filling up without spilling my problem was also spilling out the vent tube during sharp turns....so noticeable that a driver behind me stopped me to report "gas was leaking out my gas tank". My tank was new & wasn't leaking.

The installation of the device, deep enough into the filler tube past the vent line connection improved that but still didn't eliminate it because gas still made it's way around it on turns......provisions for venting insure that.

So I resorted to making the vent line go higher to totally stop that problem. Attached is the new shape of that vent line....shown outside the car prior to installing it in place of the original vent line.

Attachments

• TankVentLineMod.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 304
I would make sure your vent pipe is clear before doing anything else.

Personally, I'd be very leery of sticking a device in the filler neck. My Barracuda had one of those anti-siphon springs in the filler tube -- it slowed down the flow so bad that some pumps would shut off instantly, on the lowest flow setting. Took forever to fill the tank. I finally replaced the whole tube, since there was no way to remove it.

Now, I find a slight twist is enough to make it flow OK.

Agree..... you had better know your filler pipe well before adding a flapper valve.

The stock 65 Dart filler tube has a horizontal baffle splitting the filler tube into two halves with gas flowing down the lower half & venting occuring in the upper half.

As the baffle nears the end of the run near where you fill-up, the baffle moves closer to the roof of the fill tube and when it ends it has scallops cut in to allow venting above the gas that's filling.

Any flapper that's added must, after it's been installed, not block the baffle scallops. On a 65 Dart you can push the flapper valve back so you can see some of those scallops thru the different triangular slots cut in the upper section of the flapper housing. The flapper housing also has gaps halfway down the sides between the filler tube & the flapper housing......for this installation there is a greater amount of venting potential at the flapper then there is for the stock baffle venting.

With the flapper down low it tends to reduce the charge of gas coming up the filler tube on sharp turns yet swing out of the way for a full inserting of the nozzle tip so it doesn't restrict fillup any differently than a stock filler tube would without a flapper. Other installations resulting in less venting provisions might slow the fill process as noted.

Attached is a picture of the baffle where it enters the tank and is very generous for venting but restricts filling up gas flow. It also scoops the gas from the tank when a sharp turn is made & throws it at your gas cap & vent near the gas cap...that's where the flapper comes in handy.

Attachments

• 27FillerTubeBaffleWhereItEntersTank.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 250
-
Back