gas gauge help!!!!!

-

DusterBoy15

THE WISE(guy) MEMBER
Reaction score
ok so im driving like mr.cool guy and all of a sudden the car starts to die and im like oh great. so i pull over and take the air cleaner off and theres no gas coming out, but the gas gauge says i have a lil more then a quater of a tank. what the heck is happening? is my flot stuck or what thanks. its werid no gas at all and then the gauge says i do have a gas

Could be your fuel pumps gone on ya. You could "safely"!! remove your carb fuel inlet line and have someone turn over the engine just enough to see if your pumps working for starters. If it pumps out...you will know its your carb for sure.

oh sorry i went to the gas station with a can filled it up came back and put gas in the car. pumped it a little until i saw gas coming out and started it up and ran fine sorry for got to put this in but ya i dont know whats wrong with the gauge

DusterBoy15 said:
oh sorry i went to the gas station with a can filled it up came back and put gas in the car. pumped it a little until i saw gas coming out and started it up and ran fine sorry for got to put this in but ya i dont know whats wrong with the gauge

Well at least you still have wheels..It could be you sender unit in the tank. You may want to craw under just in front of your rear wheel and make sure that your units wire is grounded good with the clip....or take it off completely and check your guage to see if it moved any at all. If it moves you will know your guage is at least working. If it was a voltage regulator cluster problem, your temp guage wouldn't be working as well.

you know what i dont think it is i mean that thing hardly even moves if it was that how would i fix it? thanks

DusterBoy15 said:
you know what i dont think it is i mean that thing hardly even moves if it was that how would i fix it? thanks

Sorry, "what" are you saying :scratch: ?? how would you fix what...sender unit, guage.

could you have a dent in your gas tank? It happened to me, i had a pretty good size dent that threw off gauge. crawl under your trunk and check it out.

sorry i meant you know what i dont think the temp gauge works becasue it harldy moves and then i said how could i fix them if that was the regulator that you mentioned thanks

also i will check the tank

ok so i looked at the gas tank and there are some dents on both sides at the tob near the license plate but they look like they were suppose to be there.

and then i remove the voltage regulator on the back of the dash while it was running and the gas needle went to empty and then as soon as i pluged it back in it went straight to half a tank and its werid becasue i only have about a gallon of gas in the tank

it could be the sending unit or the gauge. the voltage limiter for the gauges is hooked to the fuel gauge. the sending unit works off of resistance, high resistance when its low and low resistance when full. start with the sending unit, its easier. if it still does not work properly, its gonna be in the gauge.

well also i dont think my TEMP gauge is working also so would there be a problem with both of them meaning one thing causing both not to work???

also when i push the gas tha amp meter goes up like as if it was a tach so i dont know if the dash is bad or what

ok so i tested my temp gauge and i think i fixed that and i tested the fuel gauge

what i did was ground the connector that goes o nthe tank and the gauge went to full but it went past it like past the F so i dont know if it is suppose to do that. so i guess if it is then its the fuel level sender thats bad

it has a certain resistance level set to stay within the parameters, i think like 12-90 ohms. you going to ground went to almost no resistance and therefore went past full. it is usually a bad sender.

You may have some issues with grounds or as the others say, the sender, the voltage limiter (regulator) on the cluster circuit board or as I had, a crack in one of the traces on the circuit board. Could also be a loose bulk connector pin on the cluster circuit board. Good luck and keep us posted as we all can learn from your findings. Mike

I had a similar problem with a 318 Dart I had In highschool, After it was warmed up on a couple occasions can recall how many times but car would not restart when warm. Had it at school and my auto teacher was stumped till I pulled it out and it died right in front of him. It was the fuel pump once warm would fail/quit working. If it sat and cooled off it would work again. Just my experience from along time ago D

-
Back