Gas gauge not working

-

falconsdart

Reaction score
Dont know if this is the right thread to post this on but i recently had issues with my gas gauge(and temp gauge) so i replaced the voltage limiter in the dash and the gas gauge sprung up a little bit above empty. So I figured I was close to empty, went and filled up my tank and proceeded to look at my gauge and still reads barely above empty. I clip leaded a wire to a ground and the wire sending unit on my tank and it now jumps to about a quarter full. Is that pointing to my sending unit being the problem? Or the gauge it self? Any help is greatly appreciated

Either the gauge or something in the cluster, including the IVR, or a poor wiring / connector problem. You just need to dig in. One thing you can do is identify the sender wire in the left kick panel rear harness connector and jumper that to ground.

Are you sure the temp gauge works OK and is fairly accurate?

Shorting a sender wire to ground should result in an IMMEDIATE needle over to the far far right. You don't want to leave the key on any longer than necessary.

You have a factory shop manual?

Yeah my temp gauge is working accurately(I almost overheated the other day until I noticed the gauge was very high and realized I needed to add coolant), and i do have the Haynes book for my car. But yeah it doesn't go any farther than a quarter full no matter how long I leave the key on

could be a small amount of fuel inside the float.

Haynes is not what you want. You want a FACTORY manual, which you can download free at MyMopar

Something I forgot to comment on, my own car, the nuts on the gauge studs were loose or corroded. Replace them with "real" nuts. Loosen/ tighten several times to scrub the board clean

Okay I'll have to check out that manual. I don't remember if it was corroded or not so I'll pull the cluster out to check soon

-
Back