Gas gauge off by 1/4

-
The contact end pictured above once had either a piece of nickle silver in it (like points) or had a half ball like spot stamped in it. Next time you take it out the end ring will be gone leaving 2 tiny sharp points that can snag in the resister winding.

I figured I would let you get that one. LOL.

I don't see what's keeping it from snagging know really.

could you possibly take a pic like the one I have? I would like to know what it looks like without it being broken.

I am sorry, I reinstalled it that same day, but basically on that open middle space where you put wire at has a small copper looking cylinder shaped metal. I'll probably take it out once I get some jack stands and take pictures of it for you, after all I'm a grease monkey, it's fun lol

I figured I would let you get that one. LOL.

I don't see what's keeping it from snagging know really.

Well actually those are just a few earth flat worms I threw in to see them slowly die...lol just kidding

So who snags what? lol what exactly is that end ring at that will be gone?

Well guys thanks for all the help, problem tackled.

That contact point slowly wears away.

end ring.JPG

My gauge was running a 1/4 off too and today it went to empty. It moves a bit and when I pull the sending unit wire off drops to dead empty. I'm guessing the sending unit is dead. I see there are two sizes and I'm assuming 5/16th is for 6 cylinders and 3/8th are for 8's. Any other words of wisdom before I rip this puppy out?

Thanks!!

5/16 was stock for small block V8s too. Ebay seller <vansautosalvage> (I think) has the best price.

Again thanks, Vansautollc does have the best price. It's $153 (Canadian) up here at Napa and $75 (Canadian) through Vans. Thanks for the help, I'll try the "on car" replacement when I get it!

Take care

-
Back