Gas gauge

-

gtxdude

Reaction score
Took Dart out this weekend and noticed gas gauge wasn't working, a few miles later it was working. We were on a weekend trip so had opportunity to observe this for 3 days. After car sat gauge wouldn't work at first but then a few miles down the road it would be ok. Put new tank & sending unit in back in May and worked fine until now. Ground wire maybe or gauge itself? check back later, thanks :???:

My fuel gauge does the same thing. I was hoping it would go away as I drove it more. Might pull it out and clean the contacts this week since the tank is out for a filler neck seal replacement.

My fuel gauge does the same thing. I was hoping it would go away as I drove it more. Might pull it out and clean the contacts this week since the tank is out for a filler neck seal replacement.

LOL, Fiat is horrible about electrical things not working if you don't drive it enough.
Maybe even the older cars are starting to take on the Fiat mantle. :)

Probably grounding issue with both of you're cars.

It works, it doesn't work, it works then it doesn't. Oh crap that sounds like me, aaahhhh

Mine seems to like it better when the headlights are on. It always works at night, but rarely ever in the daytime.

There should be a 4 inch long strip of metal that clips one end to the fuel line as it exits the gas tank and the other end clips to the fuel line on the other side of the short piece of rubber fuel line. This is the ground for the fuel gauge float since the rubber gasket on the fuel gauge float to fuel tank isolates the float from ground. Make sure the clips are clean and the fuel lines it clips to are clean with wire wool and spray with battery post protector fluid.

Terry

This does vary a little from one model to another....
Everything in the instrument panel relies on a daisy chain of parts and attaching hardware for a chassis ground path. A little corrosion here and there or everywhere has various and sometimes strange effects.
Yes some later models do have an actual ground wire attached to the headlight switch body. How clean and tight that switch body is attached to the rest of the parts leads back to my previous statement.

-
Back