Super Moderator
Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Well I got up this morning to go see my Chiropractor
And as I was driving down the drive way
I noticed that my gas was gone:angry7:
Jeeees I know I had over a half a tank.
so I drove back up the drive way and looked to see if and tracks of anyone steeling my gas last night. No foot prints to be found I shook the car and herd gas so I drove to my appointment.
On my way home I filled up my tank and it held 5 1/4 gallons of gas.
I just changed the shocks on the car and I am wondering if I did something to it then, How is the best way to test the sending unit?
Remember this car is 44 years old, The float could be setting on the bottom.
Or my gauge in the dash is not reading the float sender.
as a remider I wrote down the milage at 56,996 at fill up.:-D

What would be the first test and how to ? Thanks for your time.

the temp gauge and gas gauge are tied together electrically. mine was just dirty connections on the back of the instrument clusters printed circuit. look for my post on trying to build a voltage limiter. what mine did was work sometimes.

i need to know this too . mine stoped working long ago . my speedo starts at 60 to so when im going 60 it shows 120 lol.

Wow :tongue9:I bet that is gathering miles on the odometer fast#-o

the temp gauge and gas gauge are tied together electrically. mine was just dirty connections on the back of the instrument clusters printed circuit. look for my post on trying to build a voltage limiter. what mine did was work sometimes.

Temp gauge works good cuda65vpt, I will search for your post.

Thanks for chiming in. :thumbrig:

Mike, if you did the rear shocks, it is possible that you broke the ground strap on the tank. It is a strap with clips on each end that attaches to the line, and jumps over the rubber connection. Fabricate on if necessary.

41_1.JPG

Mike, if you did the rear shocks, it is possible that you broke the ground strap on the tank. It is a strap with clips on each end that attaches to the line, and jumps over the rubber connection. Fabricate on if necessary.

Thanks:-D I will look there first before taking the dash cluster off.:cheers:

Are you sure you didn't just bump the connector off the terminal at the sending unit? I did the same thing changing my rear shocks.

Are you sure you didn't just bump the connector off the terminal at the sending unit? I did the same thing changing my rear shocks.
That is what I am hoping=D> and wondering 63dartman.
After a Friday night of playing the drums and :drinkers: I am beet down sore.
My hips and neck are burning up. So I am hopping to take a look at it tomorrow :cheers:

Oh!! to be young again :toothy7:

take the sending wire from the tank and ground it and see if the fuel gauge go to full ....if so the gauge is good and the sender is bad ....if the gauge dosnt go to full then ohm the sending wire from the gauge to the tank...if good ....you have a bad gauge....hope this help kenn

take the sending wire from the tank and ground it and see if the fuel gauge go to full ....if so the gauge is good and the sender is bad ....if the gauge dosnt go to full then ohm the sending wire from the gauge to the tank...if good ....you have a bad gauge

Thanks kennmadruga :cheers:
I will remember that if it stops working again I got in it the next day and
it was working after I drove over one of the speed bumps at Lowes parking lot and have been busy and forgot to come back to this thread and let everyone know. I wonder if the grounding strap grounded or the float just
got stuck in the tank, I let it get low one time and when I drive down my long steep drive way it just did not want to move until I hit the speed bump
to fast and it shook it loose. It has been working ever since

first cruze 095.jpg

were you driving when u took this pic ? or is your speedo broke too? lol

I was driving to my first cruse and was taking pictures of the cars in front of me that morning as you can see everything works good know.

first cruze 003.jpg

Ok, so i'm still having issues with mine. It's not reading at all. I bench tested the gas gauge yesterday and it works. I since have cleaned all contacts and reinstalled into the dash. I then disconnected the sending unit wire on the tank, put a 15 ohm load on the sending wire and grounded to the tank. I truned the ignition on and got 3/4 of a tank. So this tells me that all of my wiring and gauges from the tank to the dash are working properly. I then reinstalled the wire on the sending unit and ground the tank with a jumper wire and still got nothing. So this points to the float then right? what are your thoughts??? anyone....

7374 it sounds as if you done it all .....and the sender is bad ...i forgot to tell memike to also check that the tank is grounded....3404speed showed a picture of a early ground strap...i think thats the one that jumped the fuel lines short rubber hose between the senders fuel outlet and the fuel line running to the carb(havent sene one of those in a long time)that was to help ground the sender asysm....you have to remember that the sender asysm goes in to the thank with a rubber type sealing ring and the only way it gets ground now is threw the metal retaner ring to the tank ..... so thats why they used that jumper strap....sorry for the rant..... i have also taken out the sender ...ground the case....put the sender wire on and moved the float arm up and down to see if the gauge shows any movement ...you will also be able to see if any scaper wires or the float is broken....hope this helps kenn

Is it just me or what?Of all the Mopars I have had over the years 40% of the gas gauges didn't work,20% worked but then quit,25% worked but read full at the 3/4 mark,and 15% worked perfectly never any troubles.
LOL........ Jim

so that is my last question then on this before throwing in the towel to go with the sender.

so the sending unit has to me ground to frame basically right? i don't see a ground strap anywhere. i think i'll try grounding the sending unit to the frame and see where that takes me.

Well mine quit working again yeasterday #-o so I seen the grounding strap and gave it a spin to try and get a good ground on the two ends.
and I pulled the sending wire off and it was tight and looked good and clean inside.
It is raining and I think all I need to do is clean and sand all the crud off the steel line and at the sending unit and the grounding strap.
When I turn the key on my gas gage moves about a 1/8 inch on top of the empty mark. I will be back on it when the rain is out of here.
Thanks for all the great info :rock:

i had a problem with my fuel gauge as well tested all the wires volt regulator and grounds so that left me with the sending unit. i pulled it out to find that A the filter on the end had degenerated and fallen off and B the brass float had worn a hole in it from where it rubbed on the bottom of the tank. i hooked the unit up and moved to float arm to make sure it worked. finding that it did i didnt have to buy a new one and they are pricey. i cleaned it up with carb cleaner and wire brush put on a new float and added an inline filter outside of the tank along the frame. that was my fix, and advice lol.

i had a problem with my fuel gauge as well tested all the wires volt regulator and grounds so that left me with the sending unit. i pulled it out to find that A the filter on the end had degenerated and fallen off and B the brass float had worn a hole in it from where it rubbed on the bottom of the tank. i hooked the unit up and moved to float arm to make sure it worked. finding that it did i didnt have to buy a new one and they are pricey. i cleaned it up with carb cleaner and wire brush put on a new float and added an inline filter outside of the tank along the frame. that was my fix, and advice lol.

Thank you dingo77
As soon as the rain quits I will check with a meter and make sure my grounding strap is grounded good.
I will check my brass float last and make sure the sender is sending a
reading first, The grounding strap is really coded with allot of funk :toothy10:
Thanks for your time on this bud:cheers:

-
Back