Gas in oil

-

swedefish

Reaction score
Stupid question, but I´ll ask it anyway. :angry7:
Drained the motor on the oil ...and...
Is there any other way than by smelling to determine if I got gas in the oil?
It does smell supicious but I´m not sure.
I don´t want to ruin the Royal Purple oil I´m about to change to.
Did a experiment (using a funnel and a stopwatch) by comparing the viscosity of the old oil and new 15w-40 oil.

You can do a compression test to see if your rings are leaking. Thats usually the most common way to get gas in your oil, just short of farting into a deepfryer.

Put a few drops of oil on a paper towel. watch as it disperses on the towel. The fuel will end up clearer on the outside edge of the oil drop.

The most common way for gas in the oil is bad fuel pump. Belive me if theres gas in the oil you can smell it by just smelling the dipstick. Now if you have a electric fuelpump then it's not the fuelpump causeing it

The most common way for gas in the oil is bad fuel pump. Belive me if theres gas in the oil you can smell it by just smelling the dipstick. Now if you have a electric fuelpump then it's not the fuelpump causeing it

I agree!

Another way is to run way too rich....the leftover gas will sharpen your piston rings like razor blades and then bypass them....thus gas in the oil...what color does your oil look like now...and someone is right about doing a pressure check

Another way is to run way too rich....the leftover gas will sharpen your piston rings like razor blades and then bypass them....thus gas in the oil...what color does your oil look like now...and someone is right about doing a pressure check

I agree on that one.

My carb was dumping fuel really rich and my oil smelled like gasoline badly.
Once I changed out my carb and put new oil in I do not have that problem any more, but as mentioned above, a compression test never hurt anyone.

One other I thought of was when someone had a stuck float on their carb...or piece of **** in their float needle valve, I forgot one more to add incorrect float level adjustment..

Thanks guys
I´ll perform a comp test and check the floats. Btw it´s a Eddy 750 carb with electric choke.
It has never showed any black smoke from the exhaust except before I adjusted the choke, however sometimes I can smell a weak smell of gas when driving. But it is dry around the carb.
I´ve been considering the fuel pump (mechanic) but it isn´t very old, been on the motor for approx 200 miles of driving. But then again, I guess a new fuelpump is no guarantee.
Mopower71, thanks for the suggestion I´ll try that one.:thumbup:

The engine is a 383+.040, MP 284/484 cam, 915 heads, Eddy RPM intake, TTI headers, Eddy 750 carb, calculated 10.2:1 comp.
How would you guys set the carb up, from experience, stock from Edelbrock or going up with the jets and rods or even down with the jets and rods?

The engine is a 383+.040, MP 284/484 cam, 915 heads, Eddy RPM intake, TTI headers, Eddy 750 carb, calculated 10.2:1 comp.
How would you guys set the carb up, from experience, stock from Edelbrock or going up with the jets and rods or even down with the jets and rods?
You need to drive it at least 45-55 mph for a couple of miles, turn the key off and pull over to a safe place, let the engine cool down and pull a spark plug from each side and read it.....or haul *** down the track and do the same thing....a little white ash is ok....black is bad...just google how to read a spark plug and you will get the info..

-
Back