Gas leak at sending unit

-

Tony Fields

That's How I Roll
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Haven't tried it this way...is it possible to remove the sending unit from
the tank without dropping the tank?

I guess I could drop it down on the pass side if need be.

Thank you for any info you can throw out

Tony

I believe it'll hit the rear axle pumpkin if I'm not mistaken, you can jack the car up from the frame, lift until frame is high enough from axle to let the sender clear out, just make sure you place some jack stands for safety.

Yes, I had to pull mine for a leak. Raise the car and put some stands under the frame so the rear will drop some.

Yep, jackstands on the frame, so the rear axle drops down. Should allow you enough room to at least try to tighten the sending unit. Try using a chisel/hammer and smack the sender to maybe get another 1/4" or so turn.....

I know you're asking about removing it, but IIRC you already put in a new unit. I bet it's just a tad loose.

Just took another look and it looks like it's leaking around the electrical connection. I'll check to see if it's loose.

Thanks for the suggestion on raising the body.....that should work if I have to replace it.

Went out and took another look. The post that the fuel gauge wire
is attached to is loose. I can wiggle it causing fuel to come out around
it. It's hard for me to see what holds it in and can it be tightened up.

Better yet, what would have caused it to come loose. This was a new unit
so rust, etc. is not an issue.

Anyone got one on the bench they can take a pic of from both the inside and outside.

Thanks,
Tony

Yep- you're getting good advice. The '67 factory shop manual says to raise the vehicle by the frame so the rear axle drops and gives you access to the sender. I was just looking at the procedure last week.

The original Mopar one from my Demon has a small nut w/ a lock washer on top of the post and then the wire plugs on top of that. There is also a cork gasket on the underside of the post. Is the nut loose by chance?

If you need a couple of pics, I'll take 'em for 'ya

The original Mopar one from my Demon has a small nut w/ a lock washer on top of the post and then the wire plugs on top of that. There is also a cork gasket on the underside of the post. Is the nut loose by chance?

If you need a couple of pics, I'll take 'em for 'ya

Pics would be great C as I can't see in great detail looking up at it. The vent tube is hiding most of it.

Thanks

See if these help you

Attachments

• Original Fuel Sending Unit 004.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 191
  • Original Fuel Sending Unit 005.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 186
Reached up to check the nut and she wiggled one time too many and
came off in my hand. The post that goes thru the tank to the outside
is hollow at the point it broke off. That is some cheap crap right there.

C is that one you have a workable unit?

I don't wanna buy another like I had

Attachments

• gasleak02 (Medium).jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 200
  • gasleak01 (Medium).jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 202
This is my old one and changed due to fuel gauge problems...Sorry bud, I'm pretty sure it's junk.

My new one is from China too I think :sad5:....I don't remember for sure, but bought it on ebay a few years ago.

This is my old one and changed due to fuel gauge problems...Sorry bud, I'm pretty sure it's junk.

My new one is from China too I think :sad5:....I don't remember for sure, but bought it on ebay a few years ago.

I think China is the only game in town...found a NOS one but is for a 5/16 line for $90.00+ but I have upgraded to 3/8"....oh well

Thanks anyway my friend for the help

Got my new sending unit in an hour ago. What a pain installing the lock ring
with the tank in the car. Much easier to do with the tank on the work
bench. Now hoping it doesn't leak. Gotta add some more fuel to get it over
the complete sending unit mounting flange.

Every time I pecked on it with the brass drift pin it would slide off center.
You gotta have her dead nuts...hard to do in the car.

I put it to bed tonight...we'll see tomorrow

Every time I pecked on it with the brass drift pin it would slide off center. You gotta have her dead nuts...hard to do in the car.

Yeah, a wrench is the way to go with those rings. I think part of the problem is the new units are thinner in the mounting area than the old ones. I noticed that in mine when I swapped it. The real pain is after I got mine in it leaked. I had to make a fiber gasket to go under the lock ring to seal it up.

Yeah, a wrench is the way to go with those rings. I think part of the problem is the new units are thinner in the mounting area than the old ones. I noticed that in mine when I swapped it. The real pain is after I got mine in it leaked. I had to make a fiber gasket to go under the lock ring to seal it up.

So the fiber gasket worked like a shim.

Correct. Just thought I'd throw it out there just in case. I put the rubber on, sending unit, gasket that I made and the lock ring and it worked like a charm.

Tony:

My '67 Barracuda fuel sender is also leaking. Where did you get your replacement sender? I see my local NAPA store has them available, but no idea how good those units are.

I've seen pics of senders that looked cheap. Plastic float, wire routing different, etc.. I dont know what part store they came from.
I got mine from Vans Auto Parts through ebay. 65 dollars four or five years ago. Nice part. No problems with it.
The trick to preventing a leak is reuse your original lock ring with the new seal.

-
Back