Gas leaking in though secondaries... runs like crap!

-

myasylum

Reaction score
I have been having an issue with the secondaries dripping fuel into the carb, and it keeps flooding it out. It stop signs it dies all together (sometimes). Then I have to hold it to the floor to get it started again.

So I took out the needle and there was black crap on it. So I cleaned it. It seemed o.k. for a short while, then it was leaking again. The bowl seems to overfill and that's when it starts to leak.

I took off the bowl and sure enough, there was black particles inside. (Kind of plastic like), that that seems to be what is holding the needle open.

I just cleaned it out, and put in a new needle. I haven't started it yet. Where might these partials be coming from, and why am I not having the same issue with the front needle?

Thanks!!

Not a big deal,If it were me I would pull that holley all apart clean and rebuild, thoes little pieces could be trap in there now.Also remove your fuel line,and filter and bump it over to be sure all crap is out of your lines.Some would just clean the float bowl and install a new neddel and seat.Not me.

Snake pretty much covered it. Make sure your rear float level is not to high in the bowl. Also check your fuel pressure...shouldnt be more than about 7psi. Change your fuel filter too.

Just my thoughts...

sunk float.

Could be with the crap in fuel today, the o-ring around the needle and seat has shrunk, letting fuel pass. If the car sits for any period of time, this is an issue. Had this just happen on both ends of a 750 DP holley.

I did put a new float in. The old float didn't sink, but it wasn't as buoyant as the new one was, so I used the new one anyway. That being said... it still was dripping from the secondaries.

So, it could be the O-ring, BUT... there was black crap on the needle itself. I just bought a new one.

I'm going to get a new fuel pump, filter, and lines going up to the fuel pump and see what happens? Maybe the line itself is deteriorating, and that is the black particles floating in the bowl?

Like I say, what is weird is that the front bowl seems to be working fine? Maybe because the secondaries aren't used as often??

I would say a clean and rebuild would be a good idea....not even a full rebuild, just the basics and gaskets if you wanted.

I also like using a glass see through fuel filter right before my carb rather than running the bulky canister down by the k frame from factory.

I think it looks good plus I like to see what kind of crap might be floating around the fuel system.

What do you guys think about aftermarket fuel pumps?
Does it really matter? Do you think the stock one is just fine?

The new gas eats older fuel lines. Start with replacing tank sock, and all old rubber. Then flow gas (rag and compressed air into tank filler).

I still say give it all a good cleaning.Also pull the float out and see if the tang that the needle sits on is adjust right sure you could adjust it from the out side but if that tang is not wright it will drip.

-
Back