Gas Mileage Ques

-

CornDog

Reaction score
I hope this is the right place to post this question. I'm considering buying a one owner 67 Dart with a 225 and an auto trans. The car is a bone stock 2 door post and has never been altered with. It is currently sitting in a barn and the owner says it runs and drives fine and will only need a battery and a fresh tune up. What kind of mileage will this car get without doing a lot of mods and actually driving it right? Thanks for any info.

Justin
"CornDog"

14 to 20...maybe more maybe less, and a lot depends on your driving and terrain, city or highway.

Probably not good as a healthy little well tuned 318.

I just drove the new to me 75 dart home 2 hours the other day & I checked my highway/country road milage & I got 21mpg on my SL6 single barrel that needs a tune up badly. But thats not city driving.

I kept mileage records religiously when I owned my 69 Dart (2 dr hardtop, 225 auto, p.s., AC) from 1976 to 1994 (stolen). I got 21-22 mpg hwy and 19 mpg avg. I added electronic ignition ~1992 but no major change. However, I recommend that upgrade for less maintenance (no more "tune-ups"). Would cost ~$30 w/ a used e distributor and GM HEI junkyard parts. You may have to rebuild the carb ~$20 kit. Learn to use e-bay and craigslist. For new parts, check www.rockauto.com.

If a nice body w/ minimal rust, jump on it. A 2 dr post is the most desirable body. If you later want big power and like a project, look at what people have done turbo'ing a slant.

Thanks for all of the advice guys. I was figuring 20 if I was lucky. Being in Jackson, MS I am fairly close to sea level, so that's good... the terrain is not all that hilly either. I would be driving it to and from work which is 90% interstate... 25 miles each way. I already figured on doing a fresh rebuild of the carb along with new plugs, wires, belts, hoses, etc. along with an electronic upgrade.

As for Ebay and Rock Auto.... I've been hooked on ebay since '98 and I love Rock Auto for reference purposes.... have never purchased from them though.

Justin
"CornDog"

My 70 Dart with tired 225/ one barrel got between 17-19 this winter.

On a totally unrelated note, my eddy headed 408 stroker with a 4200 stalled 727 and 3.73's in a Dana pulled down 14.55 mpg 2 weeks ago on a long trip to TN. The Thermoquad is tuned right!

Picked up a 69 Valiant today and drove it 130 Freeway miles home at 65mph. It took 5.4 Gallons for 24mpg. Just checking to see what others here were getting.

Attachments

• 1969 Valiant Signet 001.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 193
  • 1969 Valiant Signet 007.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 202
-
Back