Gas Monkey Dart

-
Seriously doubt the "*** monkey" engine was making a 1000 h.p.

And those 2 on roadkill are a couple of clowns..and if you think bashing a set of headers like they did:violent1::violent1: won't cost you e.t. as opposed to non-bashed set your dreaming..

Maybe you should watch the "engine masters" episode where they did just that and dyno tested each time after progressive smashing. You might be supprised, its interesting to say the least!

Maybe you should watch the "engine masters" episode where they did just that and dyno tested each time after progressive smashing. You might be supprised, its interesting to say the least!

Yeah, it's really about total effective flow diameter rather than the shape. You can bash them pretty good and not impact the actual flow cross-section, just change the shape of it.

Kinda like NASCAR that uses rectangular exhaust tubes vs. round ones.

Unless you really change the total effective flow cross-section, performance isn't really affected.

Typical automotive show on TV........ they do the body work....... and order engine from another source .........when it comes down to modern day electronics ... if it does not have instructions ... they are lost .......

you didn't see the two episodes of GasMonkey with the Dart build did you?
Typical automotive show on TV........ they do the body work....... and order engine from another source .........when it comes down to modern day electronics ... if it does not have instructions ... they are lost .......

it is a free country, I think they had that much $ in the dart, and anyone can buy it if they want. the smashed header thing was tested on a dyno at westech, I don't believe everything I hear but I believe what I saw, cuz I have a friend with a 9 second in the 1/4 big block car that does wheelies, and it is unreal how smashed the headers get and she does not run slower

the shows, by and large, are stupid. As per usual with most of these "reality" car shows, too much f'ing around and not enough about the cars that they are building. I will say this though, no way they got to where they are by putting out junk.. just because it's being built for TV doesn't instantly make it garbage - ...seems most of the "reviews" I've read about the cars on OverHaulin' lean to the positive side.. all of these guys are just average Joes who managed to make it work for them. I sense an edge of envy...

You sure about that?

There's a reason a lot of these folks are pimping themselves on TV. It's because the TV money is needed to keep the shop afloat. Otherwise, the builds themselves can't.

The shows producers don't seek these people out, the people seek out the shows producers to get on TV. If you're knee deep in building cars all day, if you're knee deep in customer satisfaction all day, if you're knee deep in running an operation all day, you don't have time to pitch a show to the networks. If you don't have time, that means you're actually doing the work.

Would I go so far as to say, "junk?" Maybe not, but there's a reason a person is pimping himself, and that's because they get paid to advertise themselves on TV, whereas the builds before the TV deal weren't getting enough attention or (considering most shops start local) the clientele just wasn't interested in "you" building the car for them. One too many local customers didn't like what they got and the reputation started going down hill, leaving the shop hanging on by a thread. Pitch it to TV and, again, boom! Don't need to make money on the build. The paycheck and royalties are guaranteed. Not a bad deal for a business owner, but a bad deal for the hobby in general.

It's evident in what you see on TV. The Tuttles didn't build that new shop in money brought in by the sales of the bikes, they built that new shop on the sale of t-shirts and hats and TV money.

Boyd Coddington didn't appear on TV until after he got stiffed on a huge build.

Now, ask yourself why guys like Roger Gibson or Dave Ferro aren't on TV. Because their reputation for the build and build quality has been built steadily over the decades. They're actually making money in the shop and don't need to make money from t-shirt sells or TV deals.

And they definitely don't have to appear on TV, making car guys in general look like a bunch of illiterate buffoons.

not sure about it of course because I'm not there and there is no way I could KNOW but, take Chip Foose for example.. do I think he NEEDED to be on TV to make it.. no way. Do I think it was an avenue to get more recognition and make more $$? You betcha. And that is what I think they are all doing, they see an opportunity to make more $$ - period.

I agree Scamp Mike that these shops/builders would not be recognized if they where not put out a respectable product. May be not be the way we would do it but respectable. Perhaps it is not just the money they are paid but a bit of ego of having your face on TV. Also it is a great way for suppliers to participate in cooperative advertising by supplying product for free.

as always follow the money trail? ego and Y V ? free parts???? wanna be Kardasians?????? ha

maybe video my back yard build and sell it to T V!???? ha

ever see the Gas Monkey episode where they find their first build and buy it back? car is still running, still together... Is some of the stuff that goes on in any of these shows ridiculous? Oh hell yea, but it's TV and they just have to put some goofy *** entertainment in there - that IS what TV is for right? Straight up, if you're watching - they are doing their jobs.

Speaking of "*** monkeys" did you see Rawlings face last night when the number 1 and 2 copo camaros he owns cross the block at barrett jackson..he didn't look to happy with the final prices,must have lost his shirt:D:D

Speaking of "*** monkeys" did you see Rawlings face last night when the number 1 and 2 copo camaros he owns cross the block at barrett jackson..he didn't look to happy with the final prices,must have lost his shirt:D:D

I figure anyone that can afford to own SUCH can afford to loose their shirts!!????/

maybe he got them back before mid 80's when they were a little cheaper! ha

not sure about it of course because I'm not there and there is no way I could KNOW but, take Chip Foose for example.. do I think he NEEDED to be on TV to make it.. no way. Do I think it was an avenue to get more recognition and make more $$? You betcha. And that is what I think they are all doing, they see an opportunity to make more $$ - period.

Uh-huh.

Ask a lot of folks who bought the assembly line OCC bikes what they think about 'em.

Ever wonder why Coddington had to bring the cars back into the shop and finish them after the TV "deadline?"

The build quality isn't there. Coddington took a lot of flack for pushing things out and then the owners having the bring them back to make 'em right.

If you're number one concern is build quality then you don't have time for the bullshit that the producers want you to mug for the TV. At that point, you're putting your customer last and the cameras first.

More than a few people left those shops for the reasoning they wanted to build cars (or bikes) and leave the TV behind. Those words should speak volumes in when the cameras are around, the TV folks don't care about the build, they want the drama. Now, when you're buying into that, as the shop owner, where's your concentration gonna be?

Are their exceptions? Sure. You mentioned Foose. Ever see one of his own builds on TV? Or the ones he was doing for customers? No. You saw the "volunteer work." Notice Overhaulin' was also a different kind of show than the majority of them? No shop bullshit, no ego bullshit, the "drama" was keeping the owner out of it. The concentration was on the build itself by assembled team, not on who's nuts were swinging lower.

The Gas Monkey Dart made over 750hp at the tires so ya not far from 1,000hp..

It's not hard for Hellcats to start making serious power, especially with E85 just expensive.. there are more than a few people local to me making 1,000whp with E85 turbo LS motors..

you're a hot **** bub.. :D
OCC - no thanks. The first two times I caught the show I thought it was cool.. the bikes they were doing were fun, but they showed their true colors fast and I quit watching pretty quickly. They totally made your point - pure TV hogwash. And really, neither Sr. or Jr. ever impressed me as "stand up guys" - just in it for $$, fame and low nut swinging.
Coddington - so so, I enjoyed the cars, but again, the made for TV product showed up and they lost me too. I have heard that off camera Boyd was a bit of an ***. May he RIP.
In the long run it seems you and I are actually saying the same basic thing.. these shows, the people and the cars are what they are - for better or worse - and we all have to come to grips with that fact that they are here to stay, at least for the foreseeable future.. so love 'em, hate 'em, watch 'em or don't - it's free enterprise and boil that down... it's ALL about the almighty dollar.
Now get back out in your garage and get back to work!! :D
Uh-huh.

Ask a lot of folks who bought the assembly line OCC bikes what they think about 'em.

Ever wonder why Coddington had to bring the cars back into the shop and finish them after the TV "deadline?"

The build quality isn't there. Coddington took a lot of flack for pushing things out and then the owners having the bring them back to make 'em right.

If you're number one concern is build quality then you don't have time for the bullshit that the producers want you to mug for the TV. At that point, you're putting your customer last and the cameras first.

More than a few people left those shops for the reasoning they wanted to build cars (or bikes) and leave the TV behind. Those words should speak volumes in when the cameras are around, the TV folks don't care about the build, they want the drama. Now, when you're buying into that, as the shop owner, where's your concentration gonna be?

Are their exceptions? Sure. You mentioned Foose. Ever see one of his own builds on TV? Or the ones he was doing for customers? No. You saw the "volunteer work." Notice Overhaulin' was also a different kind of show than the majority of them? No shop bullshit, no ego bullshit, the "drama" was keeping the owner out of it. The concentration was on the build itself by assembled team, not on who's nuts were swinging lower.

-
Back