gas pedal linkage and bushing

-

desy500

Reaction score
I'm having trouble with the linkage from my gas pedal to my offy manifold. Previous owners swapped to the offy with 2 holly 1920, and the peddle is why to stiff. Looks like the rod going through the firewall is not sitting correctly. I think the bushing it goes through my be shot,and the rod dropped 1/4 inch. Anyone ever deal with an issue like that. It is 1965 valiant 200 225 slant.

A photo would help. Is the Offy a 4 bbl manifold? If so, how would they install 2 Holley 1920's (1 barrel)? I would think the pedal rod would only work on the original manifold & carb, anything else requiring a cable throttle.

I bet he is talking about the Offy twin single manifold. I have one of those and the linkage Offy provides is designed to work with the original twist rod linkage. I just looked and don't see any instructions with the provided linkage kit.

Yes it is the twin singles, with all that linkage it looks like the original twist rod has worn the bushing out where it goes through the fire wall. Have not found a replacement bushing yet. Any ideas would be great

Quite a coincidence.... I came out to FABO today to look for info on the very same part.

If I find a source I'll let you know!

That sounds like a very rare vintage after-market setup that might be worth a lot some day.

I had the pedal linkage out on my 64 Valiant a month ago, but forgot exactly what the bushing looks like. Ace Hardware carries nylon cylindrical bushings in their trays. You might need to machine grooves to install it. If you don't have a lathe, I have chucked things in a drill press and used a file to "lathe". Should work on nylon.

thanks for the idea , may have to try that if I can't find one

Attachments

• 7503m.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 141
  • carb linkage.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 139
  • firewall bushing 1.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 107
  • firewall bushing.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 123
  • firewall twistrod.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 124
  • firewall twistrod1.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 112
Are you looking for the bushing in pic#3? Yours looks rubber and worn out? MY mazda has a very similar bushing setup. I used a metal heim joint, the shaft fit right into the bearing hole and it moves around like it should. I welded the 'race''to the firewall. Not stock, but itll outlive the chassis.
mHBG6t4nKa2B4lgEzvludpw.jpg

i love the offy set up; just bought abrandnew manifold for the exact same set up. the bushing thing is easy, this iswhat I did for my 66 Barracuda 225/6.

I took the rod and that weird bracket (3 bolt) out and bought a steel collar from the local hardware store that slid over the rod and had a allen screw to tighten it down on the rod. then welded a larger diameter washer to the side of the collar so it would not fall out of the 3 bolt weird bracket. it works well and no issues so far, the car is at my shop. If I can i will get a picture tomorrow.
Please note the collar must fit tight over the rod but fit and rotate inside the 3 hole bracket. the collar is what acts as a bushing and the washer is only there to keep the throttle rod from falling out since the collar is only like 1/4" thick and the rod doe move in and out over 1/2" during normal operation.

Quite a coincidence.... I came out to FABO today to look for info on the very same part.

If I find a source I'll let you know!

check out Laysons.com

part numbers gg-14
gg-191 or gg-415

-
Back