Gas Pump Leak

-

360-68cudu

Reaction score
So when I fuel up at the pump and my gas tank is full the only reason i know its full is because fuel come pouring out. Is there any way to avoid this other than not filling up my gas tank?

:pottytra:

I don't think I understand what you are asking. The fuel gauge doesn't work, or are you talking about the fuel FILLER NOZZLE does not shut off properly, or do you keep "clicking" the nozzle trigger until it overflows?

It USED TO BE that pretty much you went to the gas station, the nozzle would "click off" and that was "it."

But NOWADAYS some pumps have TOO MUCH PRESSURE and on certain cars with certain filler necks, they shut off and belch gasoline all over the car.

The answer to THAT problem is "find a different gas station."

yeah the filler nozzle doen't shut off properly. With my newer cars it will just click off, but with my 68 cuda it will shut off and belch gasoline all over the car like you say.

Actually, what you COULD do is remove the filler neck and solder on a larger vent nipple ( I said nipple heh heh heh huh huh huh) and put a larger vent line on it. That should solve the problem.

Actually, what you COULD do is remove the filler neck and solder on a larger vent nipple ( I said nipple heh heh heh huh huh huh) and put a larger vent line on it. That should solve the problem.

I'm not sure I agree. the pump is supposed to shut off because of a surge of pressure at the pump nozzle. Seems to me if you built a bigger vent it might make the problem worse.???

The problem I've experienced (also on my Ford Ranger) is that some pumps have the pressure cranked way up, and when they shut off, they simply belch. I have one or two "unfavorite" stations here in town I just never go to anymore.

Yep, pumping it on the slowest click might help. Plus, You get more fuel for the money on the slowest click from what I've read.

I'm not sure I agree. the pump is supposed to shut off because of a surge of pressure at the pump nozzle. Seems to me if you built a bigger vent it might make the problem worse.???

The problem I've experienced (also on my Ford Ranger) is that some pumps have the pressure cranked way up, and when they shut off, they simply belch. I have one or two "unfavorite" stations here in town I just never go to anymore.

That's ok. There are some people that'd disagree with a free happy ending from a beautiful woman. It's a free country.

Yep, pumping it on the slowest click might help. Plus, You get more fuel for the money on the slowest click from what I've read.

...and this is exactly right. Because of the foaming characteristics of gasoline, the faster you pump it in, the more it foams and will cut the pump off sooner resulting in less in the tank. Diesel fuel is not like that though, but gasoline surely is.

-
Back