gas tank sealer question

-

purplescamper

Reaction score
years ago i removed my gas tank, drained it and stored it in my basement.
now im rebuilding my car and want to install my tank. i called my local radiator shop to have to have it boiled out. i was told they would have to send it out to have it boiled out and have it coated, and it would be between $ 150. and 300. dollars.
not having that kind of money my question is has anyone had any luck the the sealer kit eastwood sells ? is there one out there that is better ?
thanks

Online shopping will net you a new tank for as low as $75, shipped, made in Canada.

My extensive experience with diy sealers is not positive, although I cannot attest to professional attempts.

Is there something wrong with your tank, the way it is now. I mean the tank on my S is original 1968.
If it's not leaking, and you are street driving, gasohol will clean your tank as you drive it. It's not particularly fast. I ran a plastic see-through filter for a while when I first put my S on the road. I carried a spare in the glove-box, and the tools to change it on the road. I don't recall how many I swapped out, maybe 3 at most. Then I installed a big metal can filter, an EFI model. It's been under there since 2001 or so, Heehee. I guess we just have clean gas up here?

also put a piece of chain or rocks to slosh around and loosen the rust

just remove them when you get it clean enough and ready to install

I used the tank sealing kit from Eastwood about 16 years ago. It worked VERY well. It was easy to do, and it lasted a LONG time. When I blew my car apart to paint it again 3 years ago, I got a new tank just for looks. The re-lined tank was still fin at the time, and would have lasted longer. I would highly recommend the Eastwood kit. They also have a spray can of gas tank paint that makes your tank look pretty good. I used that too.

If its bad enough you feel it needs boiled and resealed
its time for a new one.
Why waste time, effort and good money on an old tank
when you'll have as much in it as a new one.

Chain, Red-Kote (let it dry thoroughly) and done. Used it on 2 tanks without issue.

-
Back