Gasoline additive for carb messed up from sitting?

-

bighammer

Reaction score
Is there such a thing as an additive that can be used in such a case? Last year I put my generator away without using the gasoline additive (Stabil) Now it runs crappy. It has always given me excellent service in the past. Can I run carb cleaner thru it? Injector cleaner? Is there something better?

My generator is a Honda EU3000is which is about 10 years old, but has very low hours on it. BTW, if you're in the market for a real nice generator, I endorse this one. Super quiet too. Plus it produces a modified sine wave, unlike the noisy construction type of generators that produce a square wave, "dirty" power, incapable of running sensitive electronic equipment.

Here is what they look like:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 221
You may get lucky with a cleaner added to the fuel. I have in the past if it was within a year. More than that and you are looking at a carb clean and rebuild.

Ive used the marine grade Stabil year round and for storage with no issues. Maybe a tank full of premium and marine Stabil.
Is it 2 or 4 stroke?

It's a four stroke generator. Been about a year sitting. Sure wish I hadn't forgot about protecting it.

What say you regarding shutting off the gas and running it out -vs- using the additive to protect the carb from gunk?

Yes, non ethanol is definitely what I like to use. We have two stations here that sell it. And I always use the additive in the tank prior to storing.

But I didnt do it last time, so now I have the problem. I don't think Stabil will "fix" anything, maybe nothing will, but if there isn't an additive for this type of thing, there should be!

Im looking for a fix, not how to prevent this from happening. It already has!

It runs so a good fuel system cleaner will get to where it needs to clean.I,d add some seafoam to the gas or chevron fuel injector cleaner. Should fix it up.

I am just now replacing the carburetor on my generator after being unsuccessful in my attempts at a rebuild. Sometimes you cannot save them.

Clean carb

Add (if it doesn't have one) a fuel valve to the fuel line so you can run it dry.........

STABIL has a new 360 STABIL, it protects the entire fuel system. Even vapor protects the top of lines.

Is it bs or the truth, don't know, but been using stabil products for many years

As far as trying to clean carb without removing, sea foam has been recommended to me years ago, but a harley I bought never would clear up so had to be removed, cleaned and reinstalled.

The problem is if a small passage gets clogged no fuel will flow thru it till it is cleaned.

Good luck

Remember to put STABIL in gas can before you buy gas YEAR ROUND.

I use blue marine STABIL year round in my gas cans. It is cheap insurance and if you put fuel in something once you know it is protected.

I run the gas out of my mowers and small equipment by using a shutoff valve. 1 can of seafoam to about a 1/4 tank of fuel run it up to temperature, shut off fuel and let her run till she dies out. Leave whatever is left in the tank and put premium in next time I go to use it. So far so good, flat slide dirbike carbs are a pita to rebuild sometimes! Be mindful how much seafoam you are putting through a small engine like a chainsaw etc... Small gastanks won't need a whole can maybe a 1/3

Drain whatever fuel is in it and put some fresh stuff in it. If you can access the carb see if there is a drain screw on the bottom of the carb bowl, (Honda's usually have a carb drain but not always) drain whats left in the carb until fresh fuel comes out. It should start once there's fresh fuel in the carb. With today's gas you cant leave an engine sit for more than 6 months without the fuel going stale, it wouldn't be a bad idea start the thing up every 2 or 3 months just to keep the fuel in the carb from going stale, plus when the situation arises when you do need it, she'll start right up for you.

Keep in mind that he is looking for a FIX, not hints on how to prevent it. I am not professing to be a small engine carb expert, but I wonder if you drained the fuel tank and put in a heavy mixture of Sea Foam (1/2 gas 1/2 Sea Foam) and then got it running with starting fluid (and kept it running with intermittent squirts) if that would pull the cleaner through and clean the carb. I'm just thinking out loud. Might that work?

I use 1 can of berryman b12 to 1/2 gallon of gas to clean my carb on my valiant. it is several different paint thinners mixed together.

X2 on the Seafoam. Works every time.

Well, I like it and use it a lot including for winterizing the (ahem) GM 4.3 in the boat. Unfortunately it didn't work for my snow thrower this time. Could only get it to run when choked. Had to take the carb off and clean it out in December. What a pisser. Even after running the fuel out completely at storage seems I ended up with some rust around the bowl over several years.

-
Back